460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha guys and gals,

BEFORE YOU CLICK OUT from another spring post please hear me out as it is a little different direction from others. I have gone through many spring forums on here but most only talk about drag racing. I am starting to pick up parts for my bbf foxbody build. I have already got the aje k-member and some other goodies. I know drag racing is a primary thing to do with a bbf fox but since my car will be driven on the street more than the track I wanted to get some opinions on this direction of a build. I will be taking the car to the track a few times a year (hopefully more if I can). Looking to get some advice on what people are running for coil overs and a-arms. I have checked out QA1, team Z, Maximum Motersports, and a few others but these 3 stood out the most. I want to get adjustable a-arms and coil overs but am still learning about how all the geometry and spring rates work as this is my first big build. I have seen spring rates anywhere from 110 to 220 on the forums. I will be gutting most of the car (no seats, carpet, etc) and trying to balance the weight front to back (battery relocation, etc). I am not sure what the car weight will be or know what it is now since I have a shell with no suspension currently on the car. I figure get some good info for a starting point on what to get so i can put this car on the ground. I appreciate all the advice and info in advance!

gonzo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give Steeda a call. They are very helpful and experts on Mustangs.
Their prices are reasonable. Internet site is www.steeda.com.
Greg
will definitely be doing that. thanks. did not think about going with them, but the mustang expert part is true and a good idea to pick their brain

·
Registered
578 Posts
In my opinion.Maximum and Team Z are good but over priced. If you're interested in keeping most of the motor under the hood,I would go with 2 inch k member spacers to start. I made mine out of 2X2 aluminum bar stock I got on line. Go with the QA-1 short A arms to keep the tires in the wheel wells.I grabbed the spindles and brakes off a 99 v6 at the pick and pull.The aluminum dual piston calipers are much better than the early stuff. The Maximum guys say the spindles won't work...too much bump steer. They work fine. I'm fairly sure I have 150 lb springs and the coilovers are adjusted about in the center of the threads. It sits level with Eibach lowering springs in the rear.The diff is an 8.8 out of a 95 GT with shorter axles and caliper relocating brackets so it fits right under a Fox body. I bought a set of cheap Summit tubular rear control arms with oem type shocks and oem sway bar.The car hooks great and is a dream to drive down the road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would be careful with the AJE K-Member. I bought one for my 93GT along with their spring perches and motor mounts. When all was installed the motor sat so far back toward the firewall that the transmission bellhousing had no where to go. I called AJE and was told this was normal. I cut up my firewall pretty bad trying to get it to fit but no joy. I eventually pulled the K-member out and reinstalled my factory unit along with some D&D engine mounts. It sat perfectly, had plenty of room for the bellhousing and the 2" to 3-1/2" full length headers (also D&D) line up perfectly with the transmission crossmember dual humps. I have no knowledge about others experience with the AJE stuff. Only my own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like AFCO stuff, IIRC they used to come on the fronts of the Global West kits. They do seem to have a lot of drag-specific stuff but give them a call and ask a lot of questions, they do street, pro-street, and circle track stuff also. Not the cheapest.

BUT FIRST, read this stuff and play around with this calculator:
https://www.drtuned.com/tech-ramblings/2017/10/2/spring-rates-suspension-frequencies
Calculating Ideal Spring and Roll Bar Rates – How To Adjust And Tune – Suspension Secrets
Wheel Frequency Calculator
("leverage" value must be > 1, unlike "motion ratio" which is the inverse of this relationship)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts