460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my motor in and out MULTIPLE times now. Interesting enough, I've noticed that installing everything a certain way actaully helps the vibrations that make it to the drivers seat. And not just a little...

A couple of times, the car has had so much vibration, it 'almost' wasn't very fun to drive for extended periods.

I've found the best method is:

Start all front and midplate bolts, but don't tighten. The tailshaft is held up a little and the motor is lowered just until it starts to sit on the car. Tighten the front plate.

Lower and tighten the tranny mount bolts.

Tighten the midplate.

The way my front plate is cut, the bolts are NOT in a bind when the plate is sitting on the frame rail. The majority of the weight is on the brackets, but a small portion is on the frame rails.

I thought this was somewhat interesting and thought I'd share :).

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
vibration

Vibration or not, it's good that your setup doesn't rely ONLY on the bolts to carry the whole load of the motor/mid plates. Some kind of motor plate shelf/saddle/cradle/frame rail (etc) for the plates to sit on will give the mounting bolts an easier life.

Some cars, (depending on design & how they were built), might require you to install the mounting bolts while it's on the jack stands. While other cars might need to be on the ground (with weight on the suspension) before the bolt holes will line up correctly.

Are you preloading the travel limiters, or adjusting them loose so the bolts install easy? This might change how much vibration you feel in the car as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't considered the limiters. I have always put a light preload (pushing the engine back) using my hand.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
96Mustang460cid said:
I hadn't considered the limiters. I have always put a light preload (pushing the engine back) using my hand.

Have a good day!
Michael
I hand preload mine so that they are slightly pulling on the engine due to hard launches. What's the correct method for pre-loading per application i.e. a street car vs a drag car?

My car has vibration however it's not a street car so I don't really have any complaints :wink:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
preload.

I doubt preloading the travel limiters either direction [motor foward/back] has any real benefit on track performance.

At some point during the pass the limiters will see tension, compression, and slack, no matter how they are adjusted because of rod end and/or clevis clerances. I just adjust them so that the bolts install easy with no binding, while the cars weight is on the suspension [on the ground].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts