460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am using a front plate on my car, i have never used one ,how does a person start, i already have the plate, does the motor weight have to be on the car? guessing i need the header to be installed so i dont have clearance issues? any info would be great, it is in a 1992 mustang with a BBF of course

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. So I'm not an expert. Just an enthusiast like you.

The motor plate that I have will of course bolt to the font of the engine. Then you have to weld mounting tabs to the existing unibody frame rails that the motor plate will then bolt to. My motor plate has slots cut in it that slide over the frame rail so the left to right clearance is almost a no brainer. It will also be very helpful to have the transmission bolted to the engine so you can get the transmission crossmember lined up properly. I have the transmission crossmember that comes from Ford with the moving mounting bushings. You are supposed to get it in place where you want it and then tack weld the bushing mounts in place. The motor weight doesn't necessarily have to be on the car. But it will be helpful to be able to slide the motor forward and backward to get the correct engine position that you want. Of course you will want to check fitment of headers and other things like valve cover clearence to the brake booster and radiator fan clearance. I'm switching to a full manual master cylinder with no brake booster myself so I can easily take the valve covers off in the car. That's about all I can think of. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
135 Posts
power brakes

I pulled a hydroboost unit of a wrecked ford in the local pick-&-pull.
The lines came from autozone and I get to stop as good as I go.
Leaves me plenty of room to change plugs and pull valve covers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same,engine is already in.
Do you run anything at back of engine ?
I've gearbox mounted on standard cross member.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same,engine is already in.
Do you run anything at back of engine ?
I've gearbox mounted on standard cross member.
Thanks.
I am running the front plate along with the back plate and at the time when i was researching them that back plate was for one reason. It allows you to pull the transmission without pulling the motor. With the boss motor around 1k hp i just felt a little better about having a front and rear plate.

side note to this i had to make this decission when i was having my transmission made and the custom torque converer made to allow for the correct spacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts