460 Ford Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1398 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Do the springs on these coil over struts & shocks control ride height only? I think that is their function anyway. I don't believe they are a progressive rate spring. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the Menscer people must be traveling again because they have not responded to my eMails about this ( or perhaps they are rolling their eyes and saying "not him again..." ).

I got my stock springs out and lower control arms back in. After I did that I wanted to dial in the tension on the rear springs. I compressed the springs 3 inches on both sides. Now my *** end is sitting very high and I have about 4 inches of space between the top of my rear tires and tops of the fender lips. I know it shouldn't be like this. The only thing I know to do is release some of the tension on the springs. Somebody chime in with quality advice please.

EDIT: Yes I know. I still need to secure a few wires & lines in the picture. That will get done.

ARE you sure those shocks can be installed like that????? upside down?

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,342 ·
ARE you sure those shocks can be installed like that????? upside down?
Yes. I eMailed Menscer and they said it didn't matter which way you installed them.

Their tech page says the same thing. I saw that after I got my eMail response back. Below is a link to their tech page. It is the 4th question down. When I mounted them this way their labels were not upside down either.

Menscer Tech Page

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,344 ·
What is the length and spring rate (lb/per inch)? Get all 4 tires on the ground and go from there, the springs are just to support the back of the car.
I know they are 175# springs. I do not know the length and the length isn't on Menscers website. I do know they were made for my application but that is all I know. What you said was pretty much my plan for now. Get it on the ground and adjust accordingly. I know they will work. I just need a little fine tuning.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
sounds cool, not sure if its just me, but your one of the few guys whos photos don't show up...just little black XXs
Maybe my machine?

Sounds like your doing great work as always though....:laugh:

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,347 ·
seem high on the spring rate, but I'm not sure what your car weighs. Are you sure that's not 175s on the front and lighter on the rear?
Crap... Your right. 175# springs on the front. I don't know what the rear spring rate is. They sent me what they said I needed. I did provide them with the front axle & rear axle weights when ordering. I took it to a truck stop CAT scale near me and got the front & rear axle weights. Total weight of the car is 3175 with me in it. 2920 without me in it.

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,348 ·
sounds cool, not sure if its just me, but your one of the few guys whos photos don't show up...just little black XXs
Maybe my machine?

Sounds like your doing great work as always though....:laugh:
It is your machine. Your browser insn't allowing the external picture links for some reason. I upload the pictures to my website and then link to them. That is how I get full size pictures posted.

Download the Google Chrome browser and install it to see if that fixes the problem. Internet Explorer can be a real P.I.T.A. Just go to Google and type "Google Chrome" in the search box and hit enter. They will then give you a link to download it. Google Chrome is a much better browser than I.E. is anyway.

EDIT: If that doesn't work let me know. There are other things to do to try and fix the problem.

·
Registered
558 Posts
VIEWING PICS

It is your machine. Your browser insn't allowing the external picture links for some reason. I upload the pictures to my website and then link to them. That is how I get full size pictures posted.

Download the Google Chrome browser and install it to see if that fixes the problem. Internet Explorer can be a real P.I.T.A. Just go to Google and type "Google Chrome" in the search box and hit enter. They will then give you a link to download it. Google Chrome is a much better browser than I.E. is anyway.

EDIT: If that doesn't work let me know. There are other things to do to try and fix the problem.
Hey Scarf!

I been having problems viewing my pics lately too.

I get my pic icon to click on (not x's), but when I click my pics, the screen becomes shaded (dark grey) and the pic never opens.

It happens no matter what computer Im using.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,350 ·
Hey Scarf!

I been having problems viewing my pics lately too.

I get my pic icon to click on (not x's), but when I click my pics, the screen becomes shaded (dark grey) and the pic never opens.

It happens no matter what computer Im using.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick
Are you talking about the pictures that people upload to 460Ford.com? As an example I don't upload the pictures to 460Ford on my build thread. Can you see the pictures in my build thread?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Are you talking about the pictures that people upload to 460Ford.com? As an example I don't upload the pictures to 460Ford on my build thread. Can you see the pictures in my build thread?
Hey Scarf,

Talking about all pics (except yours).

When I click on your thread, all of your pics appear as though they are already open.

When I open anyone ele's thread, or my own, the pics appear as small once inch squares - you can see the pic, but it is very small.

When I click on the pic to open it up, the screen becomes shaded with grey, but the pic never opens.

If you don't upload the pics, what do you do?...drag them?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,352 ·
Hey Scarf,

Talking about all pics (except yours).

When I click on your thread, all of your pics appear as though they are already open.

When I open anyone ele's thread, or my own, the pics appear as small once inch squares - you can see the pic, but it is very small.

When I click on the pic to open it up, the screen becomes shaded with grey, but the pic never opens.

If you don't upload the pics, what do you do?...drag them?

Thanks
What internet browser are you using?

·
Premium Member
835 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,355 ·
I just drag and drop from my files, way easy. Slacker way out:grin:
He is able to upload pictures and he can see the thumbnails pictures. But when he clicks on the thumbnails he just gets a gray page and never sees the picture in a larger view.

Dang I like your car... WAY more character than my run of the mill 1993 notch back.

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,356 ·
I use Google.
1) On your computer, open Google Chrome.
2) In the top right corner of Chrome click the "More" icon (three small vertical dots)
3) Click "Settings" from the list.
4) At the bottom, click "Show advanced settings".
5) Under "Privacy," click "Content settings" button.
6) Under "Cookies" make sure "Allow local data to be set (recommended)" is selected.
7) Under "Images" make sure "Show all images (recommended)" is selected.
8) Click the "Done" button in the bottom right corner.
9) Close the browser. Re-open and see if that fixed it.

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,357 · (Edited)
I had the car out to US 60 Dragway in Hardinsburg Ky over the weekend. I was there for the Ford Big Block Bash. I had to get in my test & tuning before the race so I could see what it would run in order to call my dial in number. I made 2 passes Friday night and then 1 pass Saturday morning. That is when my electric fans gave up on me so I was not able to participate in the race (that just pissed me off). Upon further diagnosis I found that I had a piece of the plastic nose support come loose and push back into the electric fan on the passenger side. This not only stopped the fan dead in it's tracks but it also blew the electric motors when it tried to pull more amps to keep the fans going. I have both a relay & a fuse controlling the current to the fans and neither one of them shut the power off to the fans before it blew the motors. I'm not sure why... Anyway more work to do now. I'd really like to get my fans behind the radiator and make them pullers again instead of pushers. They are designed to be pullers anyway.

As far as the runs themselves goes I didn't go any faster than I had before but the times were close and there was a reason (5.83, 5.87 & 5.85). I had power pulled out & a lower than stall speed rev limiter set via my Digital MSD box from the last time I was at the track. I forgot my laptop so I could not put it all back in while at the track ( I know... I'm a dumba**). Anyway with all of that being said I was really pleased with the way the car went down the track with the new struts up front & coil over shocks out back. It launched like a Cadillac that could hook and went straight as an arrow down the track all 3 times. No drama what so ever. It was much easier to drive than before. I used to have to chase it with the steering wheel a bit but not now. It just hooked and went straight. The initial hit on the line didn't seem as violent either. The car didn't jump around at all. It just took off and went straight.

I'll keep you guys posted on progress. I'll be out of town for a while so it will be a few weeks before I get back to the track.

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
558 Posts
HEY SCARF!.....

I had the car out to US 60 Dragway in Hardinsburg Ky over the weekend. I was there for the Ford Big Block Bash. I had to get in my test & tuning before the race so I could see what it would run in order to call my dial in number. I made 2 passes Friday night and then 1 pass Saturday morning. That is when my electric fans gave up on me so I was not able to participate in the race (that just pissed me off). Upon further diagnosis I found that I had a piece of the plastic nose support come loose and push back into the electric fan on the passenger side. This not only stopped the fan dead in it's tracks but it also blew the electric motors when it tried to pull more amps to keep the fans going. I have both a relay & a fuse controlling the current to the fans and neither one of them shut the power off to the fans before it blew the motors. I'm not sure why... Anyway more work to do now. I'd really like to get my fans behind the radiator and make them pullers again instead of pushers. They are designed to be pullers anyway.

As far as the runs themselves goes I didn't go any faster than I had before but the times were close and there was a reason (5.83, 5.87 & 5.85). I had power pulled out & a lower than stall speed rev limiter set via my Digital MSD box from the last time I was at the track. I forgot my laptop so I could not put it all back in while at the track ( I know... I'm a dumba**). Anyway with all of that being said I was really pleased with the way the car went down the track with the new struts up front & coil over shocks out back. It launched like a Cadillac that could hook and went straight as an arrow down the track all 3 times. No drama what so ever. It was much easier to drive than before. I used to have to chase it with the steering wheel a bit but not now. It just hooked and went straight. The initial hit on the line didn't seem as violent either. The car didn't jump around at all. It just took off and went straight.

I'll keep you guys posted on progress. I'll be out of town for a while so it will be a few weeks before I get back to the track.

Stay tuned....
Maybe the fuses in the fan circuit were too high?

Looking back at your build thread you have the trans cooler behind the radiator and the fans out front.

Might be a PIA, but it might work better the other way around..and maybe add a third pusher fan in front of the cooler....your trans will run cooler too because the cooler wont be getting cooked by the radiator.

I have my trans cooler in front of the 3 row summit aluminum radiator (with a small pusher fan in front of that), and two puller fans in back of the radiator with relays.

I drove 25 miles to the track on a 90 degree day, 65-70 mph @ 3000rpms, mostly highway road, and the temp never went over 175.

Of course, I hit the two puller fans at a couple of traffic lights, never touched the front fan, and had all fans off while cruising.

I have never seen the temp climb above 175 with the fans running any cituation.

I have some Royal purple ice stuff just in case, but never used it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.80's is cooking man...you seem to like the way the car handled with the new shocks and the power turned down a bit...

...but maybe that's too boring :surprise:?

Reactions: Devildog

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,359 · (Edited)
Maybe the fuses in the fan circuit were too high?

Looking back at your build thread you have the trans cooler behind the radiator and the fans out front.

Might be a PIA, but it might work better the other way around..and maybe add a third pusher fan in front of the cooler....your trans will run cooler too because the cooler wont be getting cooked by the radiator.

I have my trans cooler in front of the 3 row summit aluminum radiator (with a small pusher fan in front of that), and two puller fans in back of the radiator with relays.

I drove 25 miles to the track on a 90 degree day, 65-70 mph @ 3000rpms, mostly highway road, and the temp never went over 175.

Of course, I hit the two puller fans at a couple of traffic lights, never touched the front fan, and had all fans off while cruising.

I have never seen the temp climb above 175 with the fans running any cituation.

I have some Royal purple ice stuff just in case, but never used it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.80's is cooking man...you seem to like the way the car handled with the new shocks and the power turned down a bit...

...but maybe that's too boring :surprise:?
The fans pull 28 amps on high. I had a 30 amp fuse in the circuit. I've had something hit the fan blades on the drivers side before and the fuse blew (both times) when that happened. Not sure why it didn't this time. I'll figure it out.

Yes. Fans out front & trans cooler around back. I hate this setup. Never have liked it but it was easy. The fans are way too wide to drop in behind the radiator and in front of everything else on the motor. To get them behind the radiator I need to chop up the front radiator support and make my own. Essentially pushing the radiator out to where the fans are now & then making a bracket to drop the fans in behind it. It is do-able but a good weekend worth of work because well.....I'm slow. If I could get the fans in behind the radiator I wouldn't need a 3rd fan up front. It is a Flex-a-lite unit built for a Chevy Suburban/Tahoe. They move 4600 CFM of air when pullers. I had them on my F100. It's a mini hurricane. They don't move anywhere close to that volume of air as pushers however. Still enough to keep it cool when working though.

The car is handling great. WAY better than before. It will eventually go faster I hope but with that being said it is a blast to drive right now. I wouldn't exactly call it boring. It is very fun indeed!
:grin:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
HOWS the 330's,and the 60ft times there,never been to that track, was hoping to this year

1341 - 1360 of 1398 Posts