460 Ford Forum banner

1381 - 1397 of 1397 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,381
I'm thinking a set of these (click link below) with air to air intercoolers with two tunes could get the job done easily. One tune for pump gas driving on the street & one for race gas at the track. I would not want an all out race motor but rather one that can drive on the street & still have lots of power at the track. I'm think a big cubic inch motor could loaf along with a mild turbo cam & still make big power with a set of these: PT7675 CEA

I don't want to go faster than 8.5 because then I get into having to do something with the cage & I don't want to do that. I think this combo could be really fast & reliable if done well.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
About the only engine mod needed would be the cam. You could probably just install a hyd roller cam, and run it at zero lash with solid roller lifters. Maybe even use your existing lifters. Probably need a custom grind as there aren't many off the shelf that are very big, but there are custom lobes available that will do the job. Obviously carrying extra lifters, rockers, studs, springs would be prudent though.

High stall and low gears are trouble. I wouldn't want to run any deeper than 3.25's unless you can keep the highways speeds below 60mph. Or keep your existing gears, and get an overdrive trans or gear vendors. Stall is still a problem. I find 3.25's and a 3000 stall to be a nice combination with a 1:1 high gear in the trans. Or, maybe even look at switching over to a manual overdrive trans? What did Finnigan use? His didn't blow up until the second run of the last day when he swapped drive pulleys for more boost.

There were only two cars in big block N/A running 9's, so you might be competitive in that class without a power adder. The top power adder cars were all well below that 8.50 number you don't want to go below, weren't they?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
About the only engine mod needed would be the cam. You could probably just install a hyd roller cam, and run it at zero lash with solid roller lifters. Maybe even use your existing lifters. Probably need a custom grind as there aren't many off the shelf that are very big, but there are custom lobes available that will do the job. Obviously carrying extra lifters, rockers, studs, springs would be prudent though.

High stall and low gears are trouble. I wouldn't want to run any deeper than 3.25's unless you can keep the highways speeds below 60mph. Or keep your existing gears, and get an overdrive trans or gear vendors. Stall is still a problem. I find 3.25's and a 3000 stall to be a nice combination with a 1:1 high gear in the trans. Or, maybe even look at switching over to a manual overdrive trans? What did Finnigan use? His didn't blow up until the second run of the last day when he swapped drive pulleys for more boost.

There were only two cars in big block N/A running 9's, so you might be competitive in that class without a power adder. The top power adder cars were all well below that 8.50 number you don't want to go below, weren't they?
So what's he do about the 13.6 comp his got?

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
302 Posts
E-85----If its available--we could not find any close to the route after we left Atlanta and had to convert back to gas. The laptop got wet in Atlanta and we had to run the E-85 program for the rest of the week.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
thought you were going to race this car? your going to change it up and havent even really ran it yet? wouldnt it be best to go sort it out so you know its right before making even more changes ?

I would not want to be testing during drag week?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Chris there is a nice 66 fairlane drag car (2800lb) for sale.......11k as a roller................will run low 8s with your engine mmmmm:wink:..........on the 385 big block facebook paige.

Cheers, Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,387

I think you are right provided E-85 will do the trick with my compression. It should.

I think I could keep highway speeds at 55 to 60 mph pretty easy. There is always some highway travel but it isn't a lot for the most part. Mostly 2 lane state highways & stuff like that. My fastest mph & ET was with my old 3.62 gear set.

I also noticed the winning time for N/A big block. I think the little car might have a chance at that. I'm also pretty sure the small block N/A time was also quicker than the N/A big block class. Perhaps just a bad year for N/A big block..??..??

So what's he do about the 13.6 comp his got?

Cheers, Bob
E-85!

thought you were going to race this car? your going to change it up and havent even really ran it yet? wouldnt it be best to go sort it out so you know its right before making even more changes ?

I would not want to be testing during drag week?
If I do anything it needs to be well ahead of time so I can run it some to make sure all is well. I wanted to have the Ecoboost out before Drag Week but mostly rainy weather killed the opportunities for that this year.

I've run it. And I'd like to run it at Drag Week. My time is limited these days so for all practical purposes I'm calling the car "sorted". It leaks nothing, I let off the button at 6000 RPM it goes dead straight. It then pulls hard. After that rinse & repeat. No drama. Could it be tweaked to go faster? Yeah...probably but I'm not going to let .005% of a second get in the way of 90% of my fun. It's damn quick now & respectable so I see no reason to go full professional on it. There needs to be the element of fun and to me working on it almost all the time is not it.

Chris there is a nice 66 fairlane drag car (2800lb) for sale.......11k as a roller................will run low 8s with your engine mmmmm:wink:..........on the 385 big block facebook paige.

Cheers, Bob
No link Bob! I'm sure I won't get it but I'd like to see it.

What I don't like about just de-camming it and running E-85 is the car will go slower. Going backwards with this project would be...well....very hard to do.. Now that I have played with the turbo & computer controls on the Ecoboost it seems this would be the natural progression for the white Mustang. That is why I liked the turbo idea. I think a pump gas, 587 cubic inch motor with boost could easily be faster than what I have now and would also give me the reliability that I need for Drag Week while still making semi-stupid power.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You may have seen it since you post on there........https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103374332772311&set=pcb.1544861505615971&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARCj15L7f489FVgClftNly3Cx8SENz_dbu-w9PwF-bruxfX99nmL7q3m-uNYtS9sUE1a6jUCeTM9qkfP

It would be interesting what it would make with hydraulic roller cam and solid lifters!!

If you go turbo, just go single turbo.......cheaper and easier to pipe up and still make crazy/stupid power and using 3000 stall and 3.25 gears and run low 8s...........which ever way you choose it's guna be fun, and can't wait to follow the build either way.

Cheers, Bob

ps- i love the fairlanes......they just look so tuff and mean standing still...lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
How fast can you afford to go??? Reliability is the key to HRDW. You have to finish or everything you have done the 4 previous days won't count.If you really have to GO FAST, you will probably spend a lot of time changing parts.We compromised on the cam and I am sure we lost some time but we finished with a respectable average.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,390
You may have seen it since you post on there........https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103374332772311&set=pcb.1544861505615971&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARCj15L7f489FVgClftNly3Cx8SENz_dbu-w9PwF-bruxfX99nmL7q3m-uNYtS9sUE1a6jUCeTM9qkfP

It would be interesting what it would make with hydraulic roller cam and solid lifters!!

If you go turbo, just go single turbo.......cheaper and easier to pipe up and still make crazy/stupid power and using 3000 stall and 3.25 gears and run low 8s...........which ever way you choose it's guna be fun, and can't wait to follow the build either way.

Cheers, Bob

ps- i love the fairlanes......they just look so tuff and mean standing still...lol
Yes I did see that. It's sweet and not a bad price really. 1966 & 67 Fairlanes are a favorite of mine as well. The only thing that can top that for me is a 1969 or 70 Mustang. The little Mustang isn't pretty but it is effective.

If I re-invest in this money pit it will be with the power plant. Perhaps a second motor/trans combo for street duty. I'm still trying to figure that out so that is why I'm here talking to you guys about it first before I harass Phillip Oakely & Lem with my plans.

How fast can you afford to go??? Reliability is the key to HRDW. You have to finish or everything you have done the 4 previous days won't count.If you really have to GO FAST, you will probably spend a lot of time changing parts.We compromised on the cam and I am sure we lost some time but we finished with a respectable average.
Afford?? What's that?? I'm not sure anybody can afford it.. They just do it!! But seriously... I could afford a set of twins if I wanted to. Not all at once if I don't want a credit card involved but I could sink 15k to 20k into it by next April or May pretty easy.

You are right about the reliability. That is why I was thinking the turbo route. That big motor could just loaf along on 12 psi making BIG power and run all week easy. Not to mention these turbo cars are just plain cool and wicked quick.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,391
I'm going to Hardinsburg tomorrow for a few last passes of the season. I've upped the jetting in my carb from 102's to 108's. I'm going to run Q16 through it and see if I can get this bad boy into the 5.60's with all of this cool air & more potent motion lotion.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,392 (Edited)
I'm going to try to make it go faster this year... I have a Zex Perimeter Plate Nitrous system to fit my dominator flange carburetor. I'm going to smack it with a 300 shot. I'm hoping for 5.30's or lower in the 1/8th mile. Below are links to what I'm talking about.

Zex Perimeter Plate System At Jegs

·
Registered
302 Posts
To see if you really want to make all of these changes you might want to take
your car on a 50 mile round trip at night, in the rain. Much harder to do in a race car than a daily driver.
If it is still a lot of fun,go for it.

Jus sayin

1381 - 1397 of 1397 Posts