460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a MSD 6AL to replace my Duraspark ignition box but I am keeping my Duraspark distributor.I was wondering about what to use for a coil.I am currently using a barrel type Accel Super Stock coil with the Duraspark.I have a couple of Ford TFI style coils which I think I can use and are supposed to be an improvement over the barrel style.Or should I just buy one of the MSD Blaster coils and forget about the others?Thanks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I learned the hard way that a MSD recommended coil is the only way to go with a msd ign. I fried a digital 6 by having the wrong coil on it...Go to the msd website and they have a listing of what coils will work with a 6AL, not just msd coils but others as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MSD recomends the Blaster2 part # 8202 as the standard coil. It goes for about 31.88 bucks at summit right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MSD states that there are some race coils not compatable with the 6 series such as the MSD Pro Power Coil #8201. They say for questions about coil compatability call Customer service at 915-855-7123. The coil I listed in the first post above is the standard coil sold with the 6AL.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
MSD and coil

I've used the MSD 6AL box with all sorts of different coils without problems. On my dyno I used to have a Bosch oil filled coil but I lost that one at the Engine Masters' Challenge last year. Now I use it with a stock GM coil and it works fine. Personally I think they work fine with a stock oil filled coil providing plenty of spark, that's what I used on my old Ranchero for 75,000 street miles without problems of any kind(same box that's on my dyno now). I think they don't like those really high output open frame EI style coils or the racing only kind. I think that the Blaster coil would be a fine choice, or an Accel Super Stock etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
MSD 6A here with a blaster3 coil with that plug tower on it, works great for me, no problems. There are some coils out there that aren't designed for capacative discharge ignitions such as MSD, so you need to make sure that the coil will work if you use somthing else.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been running the same barrel type Accel Super Stock coil with both a 6a and 6al now for 5 years without a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts