460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the msd6al II. My problem is that it will start and idle fine for a few minutes and then it will start missing and eventually die. It does not always act like this though. Sometimes it will start and idle for a long period of time and never miss a beat until I give it a little throttle, and the it will miss and run rough. I have rerouted the ignition wires away from any other wires, redone all connections, changed plugs, and changed the coil. My only conclusion is that the msd box is bad, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and one of you guys know something I'm overlooking. The status light also flashes very rapidly when it starts missing. Sorry for such a long post but I really need help asap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I borrowed a buddies old 6al box and it runs great now. I'm sending my old box off to get fixed. So if any of you guys use a msd 6al II and it develops a miss after ideling for a little bit, it's the msd box.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disregard the last post. I burnt up my buddies msd box at the track tonight. I made one run and it started missing at around the 330 mark. When I got back to my pit it was running real rough , died, and would not start back up. Does anyone know what in the heck could make two ignition boxes go out like this?????

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds to me like you have some sort of electrical supply issue to the MSD box. Too much or too low voltage or some sort of spike that's causing issues.

I would call or email the MSD tech line. They have been very helpful for me in the past.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called msd after the first one failed and they said it was probably rf interference. I made sure to separate all wires and insulate all connections on the second one and it still failed. Tomorrow I will take my alternator to get checked out and I'll also replace the coil. Could the distributor cause this somehow???? I don't know.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Where do you have it mounted? and is it mounted on rubber snubs for vibration?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, I should have posted an update. After doing some research, I found out how to test the msd box and it tested good. The coil also checked out ok with the same test. So I replaced the pickup module in the distributor and that fixed all my problems. I took it to the track last weekend and it ran like always does, and I even came in second place in our street tire bracket race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts