460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor was working on a SBC (400) at the track and had a weird timing issue. When the motor was revved above 3000 RPM, the timing dropped from 40 to 24. I didn't witness this event, but he said that it was an MSD billet distributor (locked out @ 40 degrees ...?...) and a 6al box. They replaced the distributor with an identical one and replaced the box too with identical results. It has an ATI balancer on it and they tried 3 timing lights. Craftsman, SnapOn, and Sunpro. The timing doesn't bounce around at any RPM it just goes directly from 40 to 24 @ 3000 RPM and stays there until it gets back below that RPM. I remember a thread about timing lights recently , and how some won't work with MSD, and that was my first thought. But this guy has a yard full of customer's race cars with MSDs and he uses the same light on them. Sorry for the novel, and SBC tainted question. :oops: :lol: I must add, (cuz my crewchief reminded me of what he said) he also replaced the coil, wires, cap and rotor in desperation with no change in outcome.

I use stock Duraspark stuff on my 15 second junk, so I am throwing myself on the mercy of the gurus.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts