460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i have a msd 6al and 8580 billit dist. with bronze gear for my car, it will only have spark as long as its out of the engine. i pulled it, pluged it in and spun the shaft. plenty of spark.. drop it in the motor and crank it. no spark. pull it out and spin it. good spark. took it to a friends shop. dropped it in a old dist. machine, wired it up, good spark again. took it home dropped it back in my motor ,, guess what no spark again.. i am at a loss here. and this thing is driving me nuts.. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am no electrician but what if one or both of the wires to the pickup where shorting against the body of the distributor???

Try holding the distributor up against the block when you turn it by hand???

Are you testing for spark at the coil or at a plug wire??

dkp

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was checking for spark at both the coil and tried at plugs also. and i tried grounding the dist to the block thinking it may have been the pick up shorting out..

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
You've got a dead short. trace ALL of your wires. LOL Rick

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dropped my old dura spark dist. wired with msd plug and car fired right up..so something has to be up with the dist. pick up. thinking the mag. pick up is weak.

·
Registered
872 Posts
make sure you don't have the mag pick-up wires on backward. The colors on the msd distributor are not the way you think they should be.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thought about that also. but its msd's wiring harness ,,plugs into dist. and goes to mag leads on my msd box and plugs in there. only one way to plug them in..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Try adding a good ground wire to engine. Maybe right on the distributor hold down bolt & see if it fires.
If not then replace pickup in dist. -Unfortunatly the msd pickups go bad & do intermittant fire then won't fire type things like this. Usually from bad or insufficient ground

1 - 8 of 8 Posts