460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 2 Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers and was thinking of installing them about 12" from the header flange and exiting with a short tail pipe, will putting the mufflers that close hurt the muffler from to much heat? and will they be to loud for the street? thanks

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I think any exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels or anywhere under the car is going to be really loud. I've got an x-pipe, two bullet mufflers, and two Hooker Aerochambers with tips I fabbed up to exit in front of the wheels.

A crossover with four mufflers and it's still insanely loud...and it's "only" a 429. If you're concerned about noise, run the pipes all the way out the back. Don't really know about heat damaging the mufflers, but I would think it'll shorten the life.

These are old pics, but it'll show you where I'm at.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It could be a street car but It doesn't see any street use. I have a 90 Mustang for that. I've tried to keep it looking street legal.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You want to mount the mufflers as far back as possible. The gasses cool the farther they go back, so any restriction the mufflers make will be lessened if they are further away. At least this is what I was told by someone who would know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts