460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

Can somebody tell me which mufflers i should choose for the folowing engine (dragrace) without losing power. I must install mufflers bebause of the regulation

- 572ci
- 4.5 stroke
- 4.5 bore

- Ford motor sport cobra jet heads (out of the box)
- Intake valve 2.20
- Exhaust valve 1.76

- Crower solid roller camshaft 22406
- Intake Duration @ 0.050 282 Lift .756
- Exhaust Duration @ 0.050 280 Lift .720
- LSA 110
- 1.73 roller rockers

- Compression ratio 13,6

- Intake 360 tunnelram daulqaud
- 2x mechanic 750cfm carb.

- 2" headers (open)

- C16 Racing Feul

·
Registered
240 Posts
Our local track requires mufflers because of a county ordinance. There is no decible level, just have to have a muffler. We use the Schoenfield collector inserts. I have an A-head 557. They do quiet the car some but you don't lose any power. I won't ever run open headers again. I really like them. They also have a slip on style that go onto the end of the collector. Plus they are cheap and will probably last as long as your headers. I welded the inserts in, then had the entire header coated.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
LOL... We have worked around this rule for year with different cars and customers. Look up the definition of a "muffler"... We have use one large tube with another around it flattened on each side... it has three 1/2" holes in it and is about 8-10" long. Don't buy one.. make one. Trust me!

If you need a set like that made, we could get you taken care of.... ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
A round tube flattened on each side?Isn't this a little like trying to stand in the corner of a round room?lol.
Seriously though,could you post a drawing or picture to help visualize this?
Thanks Cale,
Russ

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
LOL... This is one off of one of our old setups... This thing was on a car that went undefeated for 2 years and won 2 championships and never had the record taken away from it... ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
inserts

Thought about this awhile don`t get it :confused: how is this not still open headers with just a insert in the collectors... mufflers a muffler wether it be round,flat,hollow etc. inserts a insert u put it inside something .. Bill

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
LOL... A Muffler is a device that the exhaust gases pass through that has chambers for dampening the sound. Hence the 3 or more holes inside the tube... ;) Rulebooks are made to be be followed, they are made to be interpreted. That is the difference between racers and real racers!

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I was answering you...

Definition of MUFFLER
muf·flerNoun/ˈməf(ə)lər/
1. A part of a motor vehicle's exhaust system, serving to muffle the sound of the vehicle.
2. A device that decreases the amplitude of electronic, mechanical, acoustical, or aerodynamic oscillations.
3. A tubular acoustic device in the exhaust system that is designed to reduce noise.

How much is "muffles" the sound is hard to determine... ;)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Cale, I love it! lolol Looks good too!
Rob
That one was off Matt Jones undefeated (2 years) Street Bandit car... ;) Looked alot better when we first put them on! LOL!

Here is the car it came off of... (White Car)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
It was a 440 inch inline valve head, single 4 brl, with sheet metal intake. Weight was about 3300 lbs. It had a G-Force GF2000 Clutchless 5 speed, with a dual disc 8" Billet clutch. On Mickey Thompson 28x10.5 slicks. It was a screamer. The class in NMRA that is basically the same class is now running 8.40's on certain conditions... only 6 years later... ;) hehehe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shorty

Speedway Motors - These shorty race mufflers are useful when the rules say you must run a muffler, but do not specify a noise level. All steel construction with no fillers to burn out.
Item #: 91763535
3.5" x 6" $15 bucks

It is an open tube with some little prongs sticking out on the inside.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i run 3 1/2" dynomax race bullets they work good, when i run open headers no change in et .. i never run open anymore why make all the extra noise if your goin the same speed and time

1 - 20 of 20 Posts