460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question came up the other day:
If someone wanted to use either Fox or SN-95 struts to convert early Ford front suspensions ('65-'70 Mustang, Maverick, etc) to struts and trim the towers back, how does each strut compare to the other?

How do they both compare as far as strut/spindle assembly weight, height, design, etc,etc? I would guess that a larger number of aftermarket companys offer externaly adjustable valving strut assemblys for the Fox design because it's been around longer. Any opinions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not all Fox cars are the same. IIRC, the early cars (79-86) had a narrower spindle where the strut bolts to it, and so you have to use spacers to use a later model strut (87-93). Also, when you use early spindles, you're limited to the 10in brakes. When you put 96-up spindles on a Fox (keeping your Fox struts) you lose some suspension travel, but I'm not sure about the 94-95 stuff. As far as overall weight, I wouldn't think there'd be a big difference.

When it gets down to the nut cuttin, there's not a lot of differences. The SN95 stuff lets you use factory Cobra 13in brakes, biggest for the Fox factory stuff is 11in. However, given what you're talking about, I'm assuming road racing isn't in your future :wink: although I've been wrong before. As for the availability of adjustable shocks, it's about even.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts