460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2000 Mustang V6 auto with a bad motor. I happen to have a good carbureted 302 sitting in the corner in need of a car. what would the difficulties be in installing this motor in the Mustang? here would I go to find parts (motor mounts and such)and what would it take to get the motor to comply with the electronics as gauges, speedometer and such. Will the V6 auto trans adapt to the 302 or do I need to find a C4? Not in any hurry for this project but as I am retired funds will be limited.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
There are some companies that make swap mounts and getting the gauges to work should be as easy as installing the sensors into the 302 ie; water temp, oil pressure. Transmission will need a stand alone computer if an auto. Speedo sensor is in rear axle and doesn't need the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Curiosity killed a cat...

I am a bit curious, what did you give for the Mustang? I've always wanted to find a 99-04 and build a big block 6 speed Cobra R clone...

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
If you're going to swap in a new motor, do it right....scrap all the computer crap and gauges, drop in a BBF and build your own dash panel.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I traded a 2000 Explorer even up for the Mustang. I might have given too much but it was my daughters and she was driving the Explorer more than I was anyway so I at least got something for the Explorer. As for putting a BBF in it I already have 1 521 built in my 66 Fairlane. Probably gonna give the Mustang back to my oldest grandson and do I really want to give a new driver something that fast ? I remember teaching him to ride his bicycle and he ran over everything in sight.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
I traded a 2000 Explorer even up for the Mustang. I might have given too much but it was my daughters and she was driving the Explorer more than I was anyway so I at least got something for the Explorer. As for putting a BBF in it I already have 1 521 built in my 66 Fairlane. Probably gonna give the Mustang back to my oldest grandson and do I really want to give a new driver something that fast ? I remember teaching him to ride his bicycle and he ran over everything in sight.
If it is his first car I'd pull a few spark plugs out. A new driver with a V8 can be a potentially expensive situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts