460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post this up since it'll be a long project...

The car is a weekend cruiser and street car that will see the track a few times a year and go to some local cruise-ins.

Background:
- 1969 Mustang SportsRoof, 8X,XXX original miles.
- I bought the car towards the end of last year (2006) with a 468 cid big block w/ ported DOVE-C's, unknown size solid roller cam, Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 carb, C6 trans, and 9" rearend.
- It has the original standard black interior in excellent condition (tach and shifter are aftermarket) and all original sheetmetal.
- Currently painted a dark red almost maroon color. Was originally painted Acapulco Blue.

Problems:
- After a disappointing 12.4 @ 110 mph track outing, I discovered it was only running on 7 cylinders and those 7 weren't within spec on the compression test. It was also running at only 25* total timing (should be ~35*) and it has a worn distributer gear.
- Radiator also developed a leak.

Already done since I bought the car:
- Added front spoiler
- De-anodized the gold Moroso valve covers and painted them black
- Replaced gold Moroso air cleaner with a K&N air cleaner
- Replaced door lock knobs
- Replaced inner door handle cups

Currently In Progress:
- bbfstanger here on 460ford is building me a 545 cid shortblock. Should come in around a pump gas friendly 11.0:1 compression ratio after the Kaase P-51 heads are installed. It will include: a .030 over factory block, cleaned and decked, bored and honed with a plate, new cam bearings installed, Forged 4.5" crank, 6.8" scat h-beam rods, ARP 2000 series rod bolts, Dished forged Diamond pistons with custom valve reliefs for both P-51 and conventional heads, Total Seal plasma moly file fit rings, Clevite H series bearings, Durabond cam bearings, sfi flexplate, sfi balancer, internally balanced, All clearances set and checked, New freeze plug set.
- Until I have the cash for the new top end, my old/current top end will go on. It includes ported/butchered DOVE-C iron heads (flowed 305 cfm intake and 169 cfm exhaust), solid roller cam, Offenhouser Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 cfm carb, I will be absolutely suffocating this motor, I know, but I can't swing the new top end right now.
- New MSD #8577 Pro-Billet distributer.
- A new aluminum radiator along with a Flex-a-lite 2500 cfm electric fan is going in. These will replace the leaking steel radiator and mechanical fan. Custom radiator support work is being done to accommodate the cooling system with the big block stuffed in the engine bay.
- New high output 3G alternator will replace the current 60 amp one.
- Converting from a V-belt to a serpentine belt system.

Future Plans:
- Replace old/current top end with aluminum Kaase P-51 heads, custom solid roller cam from one of the gurus on this board, Victor intake, and 1050 or 1150 dominator carb.
- Upgrade fuel system.
- Rollerize C6 tranny.
- Paint the car either a custom graphite/gun metal grey color or Raven Black.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Current pics (the 5 photocopied pics at the bottom are from previous owner):

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Very nice looking Mustang. I really liked the picture of you washing it with grey skies in the back ground, I bet it was sunny when you started, that's what produces rain. :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys.

deerhunter3814 said:
Very nice looking Mustang. I really liked the picture of you washing it with grey skies in the back ground, I bet it was sunny when you started, that's what produces rain. :lol:
LOL, so true :lol:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
man matt nothing looks better than those boss scoops on those cars. looks sweet.
your shortblk is int. balanced so no counterweight lol!
see you next weekend
john

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Nice Stang! Should fly with a five fourty five! I would recommend a SPAL fan though, they ARE the best!
Nick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bbfstanger said:
man matt nothing looks better than those boss scoops on those cars. looks sweet.
see you next weekend
john
Thanks John. Edited the internal balance above. Can't wait until next weekend. If you're ever up my way, let me know, we'll take the Stang for a ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ProStreetFairlane said:
Nice Stang! Should fly with a five fourty five! I would recommend a SPAL fan though, they ARE the best!
Nick
Thanks. I am worried about cooling this thing since it will mainly be a street car. We'll see how it does with what I have and if it won't stay cool enough, I'll just get what I need. I have a Mark VIII fan, but I don't think it's going to work so I'm going to try the 2500 cfm flex-a-lite.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
BuckeyeBoss said:
bbfstanger said:
see you next weekend
john
Thanks John. Edited the internal balance above. Can't wait until next weekend. If you're ever up my way, let me know, we'll take the Stang for a ride.
Yeah if you ever end up up north we should hook up.
Swing by my street and finish up Joe's mill too :lol:

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phantasea466 said:
deerhunter3814 said:
So True!

Looks like John is putting together a nice engine package for you. Another car for the 2008 BBF Bash in KY :?:
I'd love to go, but won't know for sure until the date is much closer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cougar1969 said:
Looks nice but you need to get you a Victor and sell the Portasonic Much better intake by far.

Randy
P-51's, custom cam, Victor and an 1150 Dommy are all in the plans, Just don't have the cash right now. :( They will come though. I would just get the Victor now, but I would need one with a 4150 flange now and a 4500 later on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice car and the shorty looks good too . Are you anywhere near Lorainne Ohio.Near Norwalk? My brother in law lives there and I am there fairly often .I would love to see your car in person and just shoot the breeze.
Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts