460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my combo so far. I have just about all the mocking up done. I don't want to leave any power on the table if I can help it, so if anyone has any input, please speak!!!

I plan to add gas ports in the pistons soon. That is one thing I am going to do for more power.

Any guesses on HP and TQ? I'm hoping for at least 1100.

640.89 CID

A460 block, 4.6340" bore, filled solid, 10.293 deck height

LA Enterprises 4.750 billet crank, center counterweights, 3.000, 2.200,
81 lbs, knife-edged, boss snout, etc.

King bearings, .0032-.0035 main clearance, 3/4 groove bearing
.004-.005 thrust clearance

Groden billet aluminum rods, 6.835 long, 550 grams. Longest rod possible with the 10.293 deck, 4.75 stroke, and rings moved as high as possible with A head reliefs. Next time, I'll move rings up more since I have C heads and should be able to get a 6.900+ rod.

Ross flattop pistons, 4.627", .990 taper wall pin, 1.083 CH, 1 cc ex. relief, 5cc intake relief, 555 grams, soon to have gas ports. Zero deck

Rings, Total Seal non-gapless, .043/.043/.1875, low tension oil ring, .172 radial thickness top ring, .206 radial thickness 2nd

cometic .060 head gaskets

16.0:1 comp. ratio

Danny bee drive, double pins

Comp Cam/ Lem Evans custom roller cam, 289/.892, 312/810, 116 l/s
.120" piston to intake valve clearance, .120 piston to exhaust valve clearance

Crane Pro-series offset lifters, .180" right

Smith custom 7/16 x .120 wall pushrods, 9.900" intake, 9.925" long exhaust, extended lifter end

T&D shaft rockers, 1.75 intake, 1.70 exhaust

Charlie Evans C heads, 2.425 TI intake valves, 1.900 TI exhaust, 504 cfm intake, 365 exhaust, 64cc chambers

Charlie Evans intake adapters, A intake to C head

Old style TFS long runner intake, AKA John C. Holmes

Headers, Dynatech weld-up kit, Jon Thee C flanges, 2.375 straight or 2.375/2.500 step headers

Enderle birdcatcher injection system, possible down-nozzle setup with 16 nozzles, 8 in the intake and 8 in the head. Otherwise, just the standard 8 in the intake configuration.

Peterson 5-stage oil pump with alky pump drive on the rear

Oil pan, WJ custom special pan, full length kickout, driver's side starter, 4 pickups

Oil tank, DW/WJ custom tank

MSD crank trigger, billet dizzy, Digital 7 plus ignition

Ford racing SBF aluminum hub balancer

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Wow

That'll never work. I mean, what kind of gas mileage will it get? :shock:

That's one serious combo you have there...if it doesn't make the number, it won't be for lack of effort, that's for damn sure. BRAVO! That's incredible!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Im no expert in large X huge stroker motors, but I think I'd go with double "O" rings on the block & heads instead of the cometic gasket....unless this is one of those 18 bolt cyl head setups.
16.0:1 is a lot of cyl. pressure for sure!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Cometics & Pressure

I spoke with several Ford monster truck guys when there were here at the fairgrounds about the engine combos they ran, and found one Ford big block guy running a big roots blower combo on top of a seemingly production looking CJ long block. He let me crawl all over the thing, and what stood out most in my mind was the head gasket...I recognized the material and rivets and inquired.

Cometic gaskets

No O-Rings

15-18lbs of non-intercooled boost depending on who he's up against.

Static compression ratio: 8.5:1; 110 octane.

This means effective compression ratios up top exceeding 20:1

Only head gasket failure he had was when he reused a gasket because he was in a big hurry and the motor was hurt anyway...

He claims these gaskets are bomb proof. After hearing this story, they're on my engine. He also stated he'd dyno'd production blocks up to 1200hp, but they don't hold up. He runs them down around 1000 and they hold up "just fine". Egads.

He said they're so hard on parts that it just doesn't make sense to use "good race blocks", it just ads cost. Interesting logic; but I guess at that power level nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Conservative??

If it was a chevy with all this stuff, it would make 1300 hp easy. :lol: They always make more power. I think it's their special hi-power dynos. :shock:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Dave; Misprint ????

Dr. Dave,

Isn't that a misprint/typo on the intake valve lift? .892? Or the exhaust valve lift? .810??

P.S. The last Ford on the dyno up here made 1300+ Hp, so we'll see how yours does.

Later,

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Dave; Misprint ????

Dr. Dave,

Isn't that a misprint/typo on the intake valve lift? .892? Or the exhaust valve lift? .810??

P.S. The last Ford on the dyno up here made 1300+ Hp, so we'll see how yours does.

Later,

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Afraid not...

.512 intake lobe, .477 exhaust lobe, .892 gross intake lift, .810 gross exhaust lift. This is the Lem/Gordon, super-duper, lifter breakin', valve spring breakin, haul buttin', chevy killin', only last 10 passes custom ground comp cam. :shock: 8) :D

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Okay ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, My Bad

And everybody knew about the split ratio rocker arms??

Shoot me your address again, I've got your Bead-Loc keepers and will ship them out tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charlie, It's your fault....

With that killer exhaust port of yours, they had to back off the exhaust lift. :) Craig, that's a good one. It's a "3/4 Lem cam" :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NO!! I forgot, it's a...

Perverted lobe cam.Instead of inverted, Lem coined it the "Perverted" ex lobe. :shock:

·
Registered
169 Posts
1150+ hp EASY

I have worked with a setup very similar to yours, ran it 8800 R's all the time ,but you had to keep up with shimming the springs. It had a .900 lift cam and lifters would last about 3 years, springs about 1.5 years. On the subject of down nozzles, they do help performance, you only have to flow air down to the intake valve, but if you go to sell the heads, people that don't know anything kinda turn their noses up at that extra stuff sticking out of the heads

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: NO!! I forgot, it's a...

ProF100 said:
Perverted lobe cam.Instead of inverted, Lem coined it the "Perverted" ex lobe. :shock:
Needs more cam, shorter rods, bigger intake valves, better intake manifold. However if you are happy with what you have go for it. You really don't want to change it this late in the game do you?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts