460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I am new to this site, and I have read many of the entries on this site. Very impressive machines. But if you don't mind I would like to change gears, ( if you like the pun) I have a 1995 F 350 super cab with a long bed, it has a 460 efi motor that needs some serious help. it has 40,000 miles and I would like to upgrade the big block for more torque and horsepower. I just purchased a set of dove heads. to begin my build up, my friend has a gmc 3/4 ton truck with a 454, and he can just flat out walk all over my truck with his big block. I would like to even up the playing field by adding headers, exhaust, the dove heads, set up with an adjustable valvetrain, roller rockers, also a camshaft swap, a fresh air system, an upgraded chip or programmer and a bbk throttle body upgrade, I would appreciate some thoughts and input on this project, I will be pulling the motor to do all of the internal engine mods at the same time. I know that I will have to drill steam holes in the heads, but have very little info on the 87 and up fuel injected 460, most every thing that I have read is about the earlier 460 stuff. this truck needs help!!!!!!!!!! please let me know, thanks for a great web site and I look forward to the responses to this post.

·
Registered
860 Posts
EFI 460s are picky beasts.

First, D0VE heads will not work with your EFI intake.

Second, if you want to stay EFI you are extremely limited in what you can do and keep the computer happy. The speed density systems on 460s are a completely different critter than the MAF systems on most vehicles. Swapping parts willy-nilly is a huge no-no unless you have the unlimited time and funds you'll need for experimenting.

There are people who have invested lots of time and money into upgrades only to find their performance is no different. Unless you are an endless tinkerer I'd suggest going with some kind of kit or system develepod specifically for the EFI 460.

In the last few years I've become enamored of the Gale Banks kit. I've seen it used in a couple of motor homes and a few work trucks. It downright rocks - more power when you need it and better economy at cruise. The kit was developed exclusively for the EFI 460. It's a solid 80 or 90 hp without having to dig into the engine. Expensive? Yes. But it's top-of-the-line engineering, materials, and craftsmanship that actually do make the real-world numbers the mfg claims. The headers are works of art and will probably outlast the truck. Banks has more info, including dyno results, on his web site.

Brad

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
EFI is a tricky situation.

I have spent the time and funds swapping all kinds of parts on an EFI "speed/density" 460 simply to know the things which can be changed and those which can't.
As Brad says ... it's a tricky beast and some things work while others on the same thought process - don't.

If you are going to have a processor which will enable changes to the factory ECM then it helps a great deal with the changes you can make.

Forget the D0VE heads - Just port the fuelie heads with a 2.110" intake valve meant for a Pontiac and shape the exhaust ports.
Other changes which work well when getting a chip burned or using a TweeKer type enabler is:

An "offset grind" 501 stroker with about 10/1 compression using the Marine camshaft, (formerly #M-6250-A460 from FRPP but, available from many vendors), 30 lb/hr fuel injectors, cold air induction and a good free flowing exhaust after the cats, (usually a good straight through 3 1/2" single muffler behind the dual 2 1/2" pipes) works very well at marginal cost when it's tuned correctly... shorty exhaust headers help the upper RPM slightly.

Using a 460 with raised compression to 9.5/1, a Lunati cam #06169 and the modified heads with the cold air and exhaust changes will allow the use of a production computor.
Simply raise the fuel pressure 10% for more wide open throttle fuel; (the adaptive memory in the computor will adjust the part throttle fuel to be correct)...

When adjusted correctly with shims for lifter preload - the bolt down rocker arms are more than good. Use "Bolt-Down" roller rocker arms if you wish but, they are a bit noiseier than production ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts