460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to work and it was fine. After work it wouldn't start.
I did a spark check and nothing.
So I replaced the coil, cap, and rotor.
Still nothing.
Then I replaced the remote mounted ignition control module and no spark.
If I'm thinking right the pickup coil in the distributor and the PCM are the only parts left to replace.
Help me out guys. What should I check or replace next?
I have no idea what to do. Iv'e already wasted enough $$ on parts I didn't need.
Thanks,
mike

Guess I should have just got a ride home and asked some ?? before replacing parts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i use a good dist. with a ground wire hooked to it. plug it in,key on and spin it,, if you hear the injectors clicking and have spark from coil. you know its in the dist.. one of my cheap diag. tools.. worked great over the years.. if still no spark check into the EEC power relay

·
Registered
876 Posts
Check for power at the coil connector (small flat rectangle 2 wire connector) on the red wire with the key on with a test-light. If you have power there, then check for intermittent ground on the green wire at the coil connector. Hook your test-light to the pos. side of the battery and have someone crank the truck over while your on the green wire. Your test-light should flash. If you have no flash it's either the module or pickup. Since you already replaced the module I would say the pickup is bad. If you have no power at the coil at all, you have a broken wire or fuse link somewhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I did have voltage at the coil. Didn't try checking the green wire while cranking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts