460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 10 minutes of driving the inside of my car smells like exhaust BAD!!!! after 15 minutes I have a spliting head ache.
The exhaust turns out in front of the rear wheel. Could this be it???
How can I find where it's coming from?

Exhausted
Aaron

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Be careful carbon monoxide poisoning (which would explain the headache) is an accumulative thing.

It takes a long time for your body to scrub the carbon monoxide out of your bloodstream. The more often you subject yourself to it the worse it will get.

dkp

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well if your exhausting in front of the rear tires and you happen to have some body rut in the wheel wells then this would be the avenue of entry into the vehicle. Either run the exhaust out the back or find the entry point on the vehicle and fix it.

Dan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed the wires that enter the engine compartment through the firewall do not have grommets. So there is some gaps there. The harness was from Ron Francis. Could something this simple cause such a bad exhaust leak into the cabin????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any hole to your interior can be the culprit.

I used to have this problem on my Mach 1, and it turned out to be the rear window gasket. Any, and I mean ANY hole (Missing bumper bolts, rear window gasket, tail light gaskets, rust holes, etc...) can be the cause. Even in the trunk. My car creates a vacuum when driving with the windows are down and it would suck the exhaust back into the car. Try to treat your car like a boat hull for leaks. If you're getting a headache it's a serious problem.

Good luck

Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts