460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D This is my first big block really my first drag car i am 18 I have a 460 30 over bracket master cam, keith black flat tops, stock heads with 1.7 roller rockers, edelbrock torquer intake and an 850 holley. dont have a converter or trans yet. i was wondering if any one can get me in the ball park of what horse its putting out, and how fast it would go in the 1/8 mile any suggestions would help thanks. Travis

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that would be good info, the car is gutted soon to have a 10 point cage and lexan windows all the way around, fiberglass hood, im guessing the car would be weighing in close to probably 2700 to 2800 pounds. since i am setting the car up for 1/8 mile im thinking about going to 4.11 gears. from the 3.73 street gears i had in there. whatever more you may need to know just ask. thanks for the fast reply's thanks Travis

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
wild guess.... somewhere between a 6.10 and a 6.30 that isn't based on anythings just an educated guess. Could be miles off. We have no way of estimating your engine HP YET... cam specs, heads valve size convertor used etc.... all these things make a huge difference.

I was just thinking if you match it all up right you should make 600 Hp pretty easily. Probably more.... 8)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Just for comparison purposes..........An '88 Ranger with 2 X 3 rails, 9.8 to 1 compression 514 with mildly ported alum CJ's, glide, 4.86 gears, 32" slicks.......at roughly your race weight (2700 lbs.) it goes 5.80's. I think that a little more gear (maybe 4.29's or 4.56's) should have you running consistent low 6's. With better heads, the fun factor goes up.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
here's a fairly close comparison- 88 coupe, 3300lbs w/ me in it, 473, 12-1 comp, tfs outta the box street heads, comp cams 306s magnum cam, victor, 850 holley, powerglide w/ a 4200 converter, 3.73 gear and 275/60r15 MT drag radials. I shift at 6100 rpm and cross the 1/8 mile mark at 4500rpm in 2nd :D best times so far is [email protected] hp calculators show me to have 490-495 at the rear wheels.

Now with a 150 shot of nitrous......tune in tomorrow night. If it doesn't r#@n, I'm spraying tomorrow night (for the 1st time):D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i thank you all for your reply's im not to sure i was thinking around 7.90's to 8.20's in the 1/8 mile well here is most of the specs top to bottom
850 holley double pump, edelbrock torker II intake stock heads and valves, heads are drilled to accept rocker studs, comp cams 1.7 roller rocker arms, cam is a lunati bracket master II cam

Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-5,000 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 280
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 290
Advertised Duration: 280 int./290 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.543 in

that is the cam specs and keith black flat tops so around probably 10.5.1 maybe they are the smaller chamber heads.
and stock bottom end with double roller timing chain and high volume oil pump.

a buddy of ours has an 86 fox mustang his 460 is also 30 over 930 carb, performer rpm intake, edelbrock performer rpm heads, 609 lift cam thats all i know on cam specs and flat tops with stock bottom end any where from 10.5.1 compression to 12.5.1 i think it is 12.0.1 im pretty sure 4500 stall converter c6 3.89 gears and her runs high 6.80's in the 1/8 and i know that my motor is going to be putting out as much horse as his hes the one helping me put my motor together thanks Travis

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
probably what 4.56 gears. I have an 8.8 rear in the car.The motor isnt too wild at all the guy im getting it from ran the motor an an 84 ranger once but ran horribly its when he first tried getting into the big block's. 2 years ago the he ran put a 460 in his stang. stock heads but roller rockers smaller cam than what i said before and an 850 i think he was 7.50's wich was pretty dang good for what the motor had in it. he ditched that motor that was in the ranger and last year found it and baught it back so we are going to rebuild it. Trust me i would like to get rid of the stock heads completely and go with the edelbrock performer rpm's. but im on a budjet here since im still in school barely making over min wage. some people has cut me breaks and im just going slow with this project to get it right the first time. i dont want a cobble job. :D when it was in the ranger it ran horribly like 8.30's missin and poppin that was really the only motor he has had problems with. now with this 466 in his mustang hes found a good combo now.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I understand budgets. However, going racing with stock valves can be a REAL budget buster when a valve head (you did know that stockers are 2 piece didn't you?) drops off and trashes lottsa other parts like pistons, heads, cylinder walls and maybe even a rod or 2. Check with "The Mad Porter" for a good set of budget priced 1 piece Stainless Steel valves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i guess that we are going to throw the heads in that he used on his race car that was goin 7.50's last year on his car so i doubt those are 2 peice. wow i didnt know those were 2 peice. thats crazy. hey how do i post picures on here ill show you a picture of the car. Yeah budgets suck i only make 5.75 an hour but its great that i can walk to work. and who's the mad porter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
attention i have a list of 289-302 parts all brand new for sale if you know any one thats interested in what i have email is [email protected] thanks i know its not 460 stuff but what ever is sold will help towards mine. will consider trades for 460 headers for the fox mustang swap thanks Travis

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
82stang466 said:
well i guess that we are going to throw the heads in that he used on his race car that was goin 7.50's last year on his car so i doubt those are 2 peice. wow i didnt know those were 2 peice. thats crazy. hey how do i post picures on here ill show you a picture of the car. Yeah budgets suck i only make 5.75 an hour but its great that i can walk to work. and who's the mad porter.
We all had to start somewhere/

the mad porter is Scott. he has some mad porting skills on old iron and some street aluminum. Good guy, very knowledgble.... just Pm him.... the mad porter... done deal.

posting pics.... host them somewhere.. then see the IMG button up top? click that and put the link to your pic inside of the tags... boom you posted a pic... 8)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Js i tried to post a picture on here how you said to do it but for some reason i cant get it to work. I click the image button here right when you writing a post. im trying to take the picture off of my documents thats where its at. im not sure how to put the link in from my documents :s :?:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i cant find the mad porter on here i would like somethin done with the heads but my budget is low i mean

low its probably going to take another 1 to 2 years to get the car finished.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts