460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a damn body shop that wants to take the dent out of my Torino's quarterpanel and door.
I have this car stripped down to prettey much a bare shell right now, so it will be easy work for them to pull/pound out a dent, but all the shops around here just want to do quick in'n out insurance jobs for people who got keyed or got a ding on their door.

WHERE ARE THE REAL BODY MEN?

I can't close the freakin' door on my car, and these guys are saying they can't help me.
I've seen the work that these guys have done, and they make cars look like new, but they can't help me out.
I think I know when to draw the line between doing something yourself and farming it out to a professional, and I've always hated body work. I don't want to f*ck something up. The body was the whole reason I bought this car; a 1970 Torino has been my dream car since I got into cars. THey look Freakin' badass, especially with hidaway headlights.
So can someone please tell me what's going on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
A sore spot of mine also!

I don't want to flame any hard working body men here, but many of the shops are just TOO GREEDY! I was quoted prices hovering around 20 grand to repaint my 71' Mach 1. Much like you, I asked for a quote with my car almost completely stripped. It didn't matter because it's 'easy to pad the bill for insurance work'. Those aren't my words, that's what a secretary at one shop told me. The truth is, newer cars are easier to repair. Hardly any have leaded seams on quarter panels, the paint is almost always the original, and they can move the cars through the shop in much less time than our 'old stuff'.
You might want to try going to your nearest automotive paint supply store and ask if they'll give you a list of shops that do restoration work or customs. I doubt if it'll be cheap, but at least you'll have a chance to find someone interested in your car. Good luck. I still haven't painted mine. I have environmental regulations in my area that won't allow me to paint it myself anymore.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Heck,, I can't get no one worth their salt to even think about doing body work on my old truck. They say they are all too busy with insurance and has been ages since they have painted a complete car/truck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can't believe how many people can't find anybody to repaint their cars and trucks :shock: Almost makes me glad I did mine myself. Although I HATED every minute of it. Hard to believe I'm actually thinking of redoing it next winter :oops:

·
Registered
617 Posts
There are in most cases no padding of bills to the insurance company as that is a federal offence. If you feel that the amount todo your resto is absorbant then think about.... Sprayable materials in most production facilities totaling over $1000.00, up to 150 billable hours of labor, and over $500.00 in cosumable materials. Now add overhead. Around here a nice all over is $10,000.00

·
Registered
773 Posts
i'd go down to the local parts store and ask if there are any guys buying paint that do work on the side,and ask if they are any good.then get their number.

·
Registered
407 Posts
SQ34 said:
There are in most cases no padding of bills to the insurance company as that is a federal offence. If you feel that the amount todo your resto is absorbant then think about.... Sprayable materials in most production facilities totaling over $1000.00, up to 150 billable hours of labor, and over $500.00 in cosumable materials. Now add overhead. Around here a nice all over is $10,000.00
Im not finding fault with any one but,I beg to differ :D .I have (and still do) had friends that were P&B men and every one padded the bill in one way or the other.Either by saying they did work they didnt do or by charging for expensive parts and installing cheaper ones or in man hours.Im not saying they were crooks(They are just trying to make a living.Although I wouldnt do it that way.) or did sub par work,some of what they do is absolute show.And none of them have 100k in their shops.I know some do,just the average shop cant afford it.And theres only one or two shops in this area left that will do work for non insurance. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here is what I have seen happening...

Paint and body guys are dinosaurs.

Today's crop of "paint and body" men are panel replacers and mud slingers. Anything more then simple replacement of parts and they get the vehicle "close enough" or get the "hidden damage" additions high enough to total the vehicle out. Plus you have the fact that every vehicle out there is a rolling throwaway tin can no matter what you paid for it. Then factor in insurance only pays X for something, it easier to screw (fit, prep, and paint) with a new part then actually fixing a small dent.

Don't forget, without an insurance company involved, the body shop doesn't have a scapegoat if you don't like the work. So, some of them don't want that liability, JMHO.

Just what I see.
Brian

PS- I'd suck it up and figure out how to do it yourself. It's not hard, but just tedious. It can't be that hard.

PPS- No rod building shops around????????

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I am no body man but:
I know a guy here in my area that is a one man operation, that has been doing this 25 years, he does very little insurance, mostly custom and salvage. He does such great work, that a man out of Texas brings his old muscle cars to him for a ground-up. He has one in there now. It looks funny, it is on this frame that he can roll the car upside down by hand.
He told me it takes anywhere from 6-12 months to complete one of these restorations, due to the curing proses.(whatever that includes?) He does other work while he is waiting for the curing times.
This is the type of guy you need to look for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phil said:
If your car is from Texas paint it yourself, at least prep it.
If its from where I am (Ohio), sell it.
I guess that is what I'll have to do, though it will probably look kinda messed up in the end. I was planning on painting it myself anyway, I just didn't trust myself with the body work.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
dixiebandit69 said:
Phil said:
I guess that is what I'll have to do, though it will probably look kinda messed up in the end. I was planning on painting it myself anyway, I just didn't trust myself with the body work.
Really? Its rusty? I figured a Texas car would be a great foundation to learn on.
:(

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Body work..

When my wife's Charger needed quarters, floors, and a trunk floor, I got all kinds of ridiculous estimates. So we bought a welder, compressor, and some other tools and did the body work ourselves. It ain't perfect, but we get better with each one. We had someone else do the final paint on that one, but we have since painted 2 cars ourselves. They look pretty good from about 50 feet away going over 100 mph at night. :lol: The good thing is you can get some single stage paint for under 200 bucks and if you screw it up, who cares, sand it off and spray it again. The primer and sealer is high though. But body work sucks no matter what.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil said:
dixiebandit69 said:
Phil said:
Really? Its rusty? I figured a Texas car would be a great foundation to learn on.
:(
There is a spot of rust on the floor, and on the rear of the dented quarter panel, but that isn't where the damage is.
During transportation, I got into a small accident, and the car rocked over to the left, smashing the lower part of the door and quarter panel into the trailer's fender.
Otherwise the car is totally rust free, that's why I bought it.

If you wanna read the whole f*cked up story about how I got the car, go to http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=32028129&blogID=244316296&Mytoken=4489E17D-C75F-465A-9A69164D9CCEC16B66355616

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
to bad ya live so far away i would do it cheap
i have been doing body work since i was 14
i am no pro but i do my own and once and awile some side work
sounds like you got all the pain in rear stuff done car is a shell and striped?
heck the rest is fun but that again i like to play with metal forming and shaping it is my stress reliver
it is out of controll how much they charge materals are spendy and it is alot of hrs to do a good job but still most body shops charge way to much but why?
well pepole will pay it plan and simple i worked for a body shop for awile and i have seen jobs that take maybe 300.00 in materals and less than 8 hrs of labor cost up to 3g's
just do some looking and for shure go to a pars store that sells goos stuff like dupont that way you might find someone that knows a good quality of materals and that might say some about there work and ask some of the workers there and whom they recomend alot of guys that do it on the side do a better job take more pride it there work
good luck hope ya get it fixed

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I agree with the do-it-yourself suggestions. I haven't had any training and I started off painting 4 of my dad's tractors. They didn't come out perfect, but each one got easier and better as I got more practice. I also replaced a complete rear quarter panel on my '69 mach1. It didn't turn out perfect, but it only took a maximum 1/8" of filler (it was previously wrecked in that corner and I chipped off 9/16" thick bondo in a couple spots... so it wasn't really easy to get all the metal to line up with the new panel). It wasn't too difficult of a job with a sawzall, 1/4 die grinder, mig welder, and various other hand tools. It's a very rewarding experience.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Ranger50 said:
Here is what I have seen happening...

Paint and body guys are dinosaurs.

Today's crop of "paint and body" men are panel replacers and mud slingers. Anything more then simple replacement of parts and they get the vehicle "close enough" or get the "hidden damage" additions high enough to total the vehicle out. Plus you have the fact that every vehicle out there is a rolling throwaway tin can no matter what you paid for it. Then factor in insurance only pays X for something, it easier to screw (fit, prep, and paint) with a new part then actually fixing a small dent.

Don't forget, without an insurance company involved, the body shop doesn't have a scapegoat if you don't like the work. So, some of them don't want that liability, JMHO.

Just what I see.
Brian

PS- I'd suck it up and figure out how to do it yourself. It's not hard, but just tedious. It can't be that hard.

PPS- No rod building shops around????????
First off, I will agree with you about most "real" body guys being dinosaurs. Alot of the fly ny night places that are cheap nowadays just do small stuff, and not a top notch job at that.

But I am here to tell you that noone out there is going to lay down a show quality paint job if you don't know what you're doing. There are alot of things that go into good body work, and as with most things the guys that have been doing it the longest most often do it the best. That is not to say you can't do the job yourself to your satisfaction, but give the same job to a pro and there will be a world of difference- especially a year or two down the road.

I for one HATE body work, but when I was restoring my 79 Bronco(who's body panels had surley seen better days), I was really glad I knew some basics. My dad had owned one of the largest and most recognized private auto collision restoration shops in town for over 12 years this year, and you can always tell a good body man from a bad one, and the painters are a whole nother story...

If there are no good body shops around who want to take on your job, then that sucks and I would have to say try it yourself, but even if I had to drive some, I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing, if it were mine.

Also, totaling out a car is the last thing a capable shop wants- we don't make no money on a car we don't fix. When it gets totaled, they just come and drag it out and all you might get is a day or two of storage.

Just my 0.02c

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is simple, most shops are production, the others are custom shops, and last is the guy trying to break out on his own.
Production shops won't break their stride for something that does not fit their almost "assembly line" procedure of unbolt, rebolt, tape, prime, spray and bake.

Custom shops worth their salt are doing big jobs that cost big $$ that keeps their name in the frontlines and headlines of their venues.

That leaves the little guy's. They can be great and terrible. Hard to tell.
Good luck. I was in your situtation years ago, so I started doing it my self. I can do it cheaply or if I want show quality, I now have a good understanding of why good work costs so much and why most shops do not want to fool with rough stuff.

I do custom work as well. I only take projects that interest me and they are pricey. The amount of time I spend on getting panels straight before I ever prime is unreal. A lot of the older rigs, had less than good panel alignment etc from the factory. Trying to correct that and all the small details is what gives that awesome paintjob a truly proffesional look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts