460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit unusual, but bear with me, it's for a good cause.
My nephew Dee is a very bright high school junior and he needs a little help from you the motley assortment of ford owners out there.

Read on:

Hi
I am a high school student here in Utah, a junior at Layton HS. I am currently taking an AP math course, and I have a statistical math project that I need to complete. I need to create a statistical problem that I can solve on paper and then prove my solution in the real world.
My uncle is Dane V from Ford Auto Wrecking. (He let me use his account)
and he suggested this problem:

If a key and lock maker makes a lock that takes a key that has 5 tumblers in it and there are 5 different sizes of tumbler pins;

How many unique key and lock combinations are made?

This is subject to a couple rules:
1. the lock will NOT have 5 tumblers of the same size or have 4 of the same size
2. the lock can have 3 tumblers of the same size if the other two are each different sized.

I guess this is how Ford locks and keys of the 60-70s cars are made,

The second part is:

If a collector, collects 100 keys and 100 locks from random sources how many matches of keys to locks will he have?

I can solve this problem with math, but I also need to show if my answer is right, and I can do that I think to the second part.

My uncle gave me a box of locks and keys from various fords he has in his yard.
So far I have about 75 various locks, ignition doors trunks and I have about 40 keys.

I need more keys to be able to prove the second parts of the problem That’s why I thought I would post on this board, and ask for some.
Since you all are ford owners I thought that maybe you could sell me an extra key or two, maybe to a car you don't have anymore and the keys are just sitting in a junk drawer
I am looking for the double sided 60-70's era Ford keys either trunk or ignition.
I have about 25 ignition keys and 15 trunk keys.

I'll pay you back for the postage and the key, maybe $1 per key?
If you can send me a few keys and include your email address I'll paypal you back $1 for each one. If the payment is $1 then paypal won't take money out as a service fee.
Is that fair?

Let me know if you can help I'll sure appreciate it

Deardon S.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
danev2 said:
This is a bit unusual, but bear with me, it's for a good cause.
My nephew Dee is a very bright high school junior and he needs a little help from you the motley assortment of ford owners out there.

Read on:

Hi
I am a high school student here in Utah, a junior at Layton HS. I am currently taking an AP math course, and I have a statistical math project that I need to complete. I need to create a statistical problem that I can solve on paper and then prove my solution in the real world.
My uncle is Dane V from Ford Auto Wrecking. (He let me use his account)
and he suggested this problem:

If a key and lock maker makes a lock that takes a key that has 5 tumblers in it and there are 5 different sizes of tumbler pins;

How many unique key and lock combinations are made?15,625?

This is subject to a couple rules:
1. the lock will NOT have 5 tumblers of the same size or have 4 of the same size
2. the lock can have 3 tumblers of the same size if the other two are each different sized.

I guess this is how Ford locks and keys of the 60-70s cars are made,

The second part is:

If a collector, collects 100 keys and 100 locks from random sources how many matches of keys to locks will he have?

I can solve this problem with math, but I also need to show if my answer is right, and I can do that I think to the second part.

My uncle gave me a box of locks and keys from various fords he has in his yard.
So far I have about 75 various locks, ignition doors trunks and I have about 40 keys.

I need more keys to be able to prove the second parts of the problem That’s why I thought I would post on this board, and ask for some.
Since you all are ford owners I thought that maybe you could sell me an extra key or two, maybe to a car you don't have anymore and the keys are just sitting in a junk drawer
I am looking for the double sided 60-70's era Ford keys either trunk or ignition.
I have about 25 ignition keys and 15 trunk keys.

I'll pay you back for the postage and the key, maybe $1 per key?
If you can send me a few keys and include your email address I'll paypal you back $1 for each one. If the payment is $1 then paypal won't take money out as a service fee.
Is that fair?

Let me know if you can help I'll sure appreciate it

Deardon S.
I'll work on the other two? :lol: Tell me if I am wrong on the first one!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help you but you may want to give PYCL (Performance Years Classic Locks) a call. (215) 712-7400 They're a department of the 'Performance Years Pontiac' company that handles an entire line of domestic locks and keys for the 50's through 80's vehicles. I purchased a great quality lock and key set for my '78 Ford Bronco from them (every lock fit perfect).
http://www.performanceyears.com/newsite/help.htm#what_PYCL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts