460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 64 Fairlane 500 for my wife :wink: . I'm planning on swapping over to a 460 and cloning a Thunderbolt. Its not real pretty right now but I'm pretty excited about this car. I've always wanted one.

Going to set the car up so either her or my dad can use it at the track while I'm running my mustang. Should be fun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice find Brenden! How are the floorpans and quarters? Your wife has excellent taste!
I am currently shopping for a '61 or so Ranchero for my wife. If I pull that off, I build a stroker this winter!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cool Man! That brings up memories, my dad used to have one like that, same color and after years of driving, it ended up sitting in my grandpa's pasture. It had a six banger, but I was able to a salvage an 8" 3.50 ratio third member out it years ago. Cool Project!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Nice looking car. Lots of work ahead of you, but it'll be worth it. I've kept my wife in classic cars ever since we met.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It needs a little floor work but not really that bad. Patches on both quarters for sure. I've fixed cars far worse than this one. The nicest thing about this one is its not missing a bunch of hard to find parts.

I need a windshield, better tail light bezels, front seats, 15*7" wheels for the back, and a dome light. Everything else should turn out pretty nice. All the other trim pieces should turn out like new after a little work.

I'm going to put Torque thrust on the front and probably swap over to some Granada disks. I have a 9" for narrowing for the back and a 4.33 detroit locker 3rd member. I'm planning on using a C4.

I'm just going to put on the whole glass Thunderbolt front end. Fenders, hood, bumper, and filler from Crites. Take the radio out and Heater and use the Tbolt block off plates. I might use a glass rear bumper also haven't decided yet. I'm also not sure about the rear suspension yet. I know the stock Tbolt stuff works for drag racing but is kinda a pain to drive around otherwise.

For right now I don't plan on restoring the body to be perfect. Instead I want to letter it up and make it appear to be an old vintage racecar that is somewhat used and has seen its better days. Kinda give it some petina. Then maybe restore it later down the road.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Best First effort

The first thing I would do is get rid of that G*D Da*n Dukakis/Bentsen sticker on the front bumper. That would improve the car 100%.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Re: Best First effort

Maulerman said:
The first thing I would do is get rid of that G*D Da*n Dukakis/Bentsen sticker on the front bumper. That would improve the car 100%.
I've put a few Perot stickers on my cars in the last couple years. Just for the halibut. Gotta love big ear economics :lol:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sweet Ride Brenden :!: :!:

Wish you had been to the Norwalk FFW, maybe we can meet at the strip sometime as I would love to see your cars :idea:

:!: Yeshua Bless and Keep you :!:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jrocco said:
Here you go. Just to keep you motivated.

Jerry that is exactly what I'm talking about. Just put torque thrust wheels on the front, paint the back wheels white. Add a few more logo's here and there like "Performance associates", etc. and hit the street and track.

Old racecar with a new heart more or less.

Maulerman the bumper sticker already hit the trash. I don't need that liberal democratic stuff on any of my cars.

Gerry, there's no free time around my place. Just ask her. Actually give her about 15 seconds she'll tell you I don't have any :lol: . Got to get to work on something when you have as many projects as I do. This one however just got bumped to the front of the car list. The 442 and the 67 were bumped down again. O well.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Brenden,

I love the '64 Thunderbolt cars. Great find! Our friend Lawes Mayfield has a couple '64 Fairlanes that he's trying to convert into Thunderbolt replicas down here also. Jump in with both feet and go for it, let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Later,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts