460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a 460/545 stroker motor. The block I have is an early 90s efi motor with E7TE heads.
I have done some reading, so I have a few inclinations as to how the E7TE heads are regarded, but here it goes.

So far my first step is to have the block cleaned and inspected then bored .030 over.

1st off: The main caps are missing. From what I gather, the way this would be resolved is to use another set and line bore the mains oversized? What about shaving a bit off the height of the mains (.005?) Then doing a cleanup cut on them to true them up?

Secondly: The intention of this motor is a truck motor. Multiport full sequential EFI (looking at a mega squirt setup.) Will the E7TE heads work for a motor intended to spend most of it's time on the street with moderate rpm? Maybe with a small increase in valve size? Porting the exhaust a bit and port matching the intake? Any input would be appreciated before I decide to put work into heads that arent worth the effort?

Lastly any general input on what things I should consider?

I appreciate any advice, while I have some machine experience, I'm pretty new to engine building, and I could use all the advise I can get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With 545 cubes the E7 heads are going to be a huge restriction. If your already planning on using megasquirt just use a better set of heads and pair them with the Edelbrock Victor EFI (torquer based) multiport intake instead of the stock Ford pieces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to open them up enough? I do machine work (non automotive) and I feel pretty confident in being able to open them up a bit, cut seats for bigger valves. I'm kinda inclined just to try. If it doesnt work out I can switch heads out later? I also have access to a flow bench to see what kind of changes I'm making.... anyone have any good reading resources or calculators on what kinds of flow numbers I would need to see?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sure you can cut on the heads and intake to make them better but they will always be a restrictor.

As for the missing main caps it will probably be cheaper and easier to find a different block or engine vs trying to match up a set of non original main caps. A lot of shops have the ability to hone but not bore a main bore and boring may be necessary with non original main caps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the missing main caps it will probably be cheaper and easier to find a different block or engine vs trying to match up a set of non original main caps. A lot of shops have the ability to hone but not bore a main bore and boring may be necessary with non original main caps.
I considered looking for another block. At this point though I think I will attempt the cap cleanup myself or at least get it close enough it can be honed the remaining couple of thousandths. It may be close enough already. I haven't actually mic'ed it yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
For info on what you need to do to the heads and find out if they will do what you need get a hold of Scotty J the Mad Porter he has lots of knowledge on these heads and can answer your questions. Do you know that the E7 heads won't take a aftermarket intake only the factory one? I believe that you can use and aftermarket intake but it must be modified to fit. NOT a bolt on. Hope this helps....Good luck....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts