460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my son hunting today, and he got this old regressing buck about 5 miles from the truck... After we took the pics, we had to quarter him up and pack him about 3 miles to the road and the somebody picked us up as we were walking to the truck and gave us a ride the other 2 miles... The shot was just a nitch under 300 yds.
Oh yeah, don't mind the red mohawk, it's a team tradition for his high school football team... They won their 10th state championship last night... 8) 8) 8)


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
Nice muley, and love the haircut too. :lol: :lol: Tell him congrats on the deer and the championship. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Yes congrats on both! what was he using rifle wise? 270 weatherby?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote='65 T-BOLT]Yes congrats on both! what was he using rifle wise? 270 weatherby?[/quote]
He shoots a custom Mauser 96 in 6.5x284 with Sierra 140 gr. SBT's at a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps...






Doug... 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
[quote='65 T-BOLT]Yes congrats on both! what was he using rifle wise? 270 weatherby?
He shoots a custom Mauser 96 in 6.5x284 with Sierra 140 gr. SBT's at a muzzle velocity of 3010 fps...






Doug... 8)[/quote]

yeah, but what kind of huntin boots? :lol:

nice deer. We won State in football my senior year. Good times 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
Doug, tell your son congratulations on the buck and the championship.
I have never tasted meat from a Mule Deer. Is it closer to Whitetail or Elk? I never had Caribou either, but I was told it is better than Elk, to me that's hard to believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deerhunter3814 said:
I have never tasted meat from a Mule Deer. Is it closer to Whitetail or Elk? I never had Caribou either, but I was told it is better than Elk, to me that's hard to believe.
Mule deer has different tastes, depending on where you get them... The ones we usually get are from hay/grain fields, and they're pretty good eatin'... This one's a mountain muley, so he'll still be good eatin', but just won't be quite as tender...

As far as Caribou, I've heard it's not as good as people think, because the vegitation they forage on has little to no nutrional value... I tend to think it has to have some, or they wouldn't be alive... I too would like to try some...







Doug... 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
deerhunter3814 said:
I have never tasted meat from a Mule Deer. Is it closer to Whitetail or Elk? I never had Caribou either, but I was told it is better than Elk, to me that's hard to believe.
Mule deer has different tastes, depending on where you get them... The ones we usually get are from hay/grain fields, and they're pretty good eatin'... This one's a mountain muley, so he'll still be good eatin', but just won't be quite as tender...

As far as Caribou, I've heard it's not as good as people think, because the vegitation they forage on has little to no nutrional value... I tend to think it has to have some, or they wouldn't be alive... I too would like to try some...







Doug... 8)

8)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top