460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally planned to make a street car out of the maverick so I built a 351w because I didn't want to do a mustang 2 clip and so on required for a 460. I have decided since it will be a track only car that I might as well run a big block. I have a good running 76 460. I would install a cam, build headers, 750 dp carb and probaly a dual plane intake. It would have a c6 with a converter, not sure which one yet. The car already has a 4.62 gear with a spool. I am thinking it should go 7.60's in the 1/8. By what I have read many similiar smogger 460's are running 7.50's-7.70's. I will build a much better engine later on but I just want to get the car set up first.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have a late model block the d9 it is a stock short block with a comp xe274h cam,the g429 intake lem sales,850 dp holley,amd a set of dove-c heads shaved .030 with home port work and cleaned up the bowls alittle it has ran the best so far [email protected] mph in the 1/8 with the wt around 3200 lbs on 93 oct pump gas and still has little more in it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a late model block the d9 it is a stock short block with a comp xe274h cam,the g429 intake lem sales,850 dp holley,amd a set of dove-c heads shaved .030 with home port work and cleaned up the bowls alittle it has ran the best so far [email protected] mph in the 1/8 with the wt around 3200 lbs on 93 oct pump gas and still has little more in it.
what vehicle is it in.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
its a maverick... if it were a galaxie or something else heavy id say youd be right with steep gears, but a car that light needs lighter gears... id say 3.70s would probably be close... maybe 3.89s

·
Registered
479 Posts
seriously? maybe for the street, but strip only I wouldn't do higher (lower #) than a 4.11
Justin
With lots of torque, and the LACK of rpm, 4.62 are a waste of time, and will not make it in the 1/4. It will even suffer 1/8 I bet. Mine stresses to make 1/4 with 4.11's and a shift point of 5500, works ok in the 1/8. Now if his car has a very tall tire, then I can see the gear staying.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
it is in a 2000 ex cab ranger with a 4.88 gear and it has way to much gear yes I need to change the pic in it

·
Registered
480 Posts
With lots of torque, and the LACK of rpm, 4.62 are a waste of time, and will not make it in the 1/4. It will even suffer 1/8 I bet. Mine stresses to make 1/4 with 4.11's and a shift point of 5500, works ok in the 1/8. Now if his car has a very tall tire, then I can see the gear staying.
What hp, weight, and tires are you running?
Justin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeap, with a 462 in the rear, it will probably run a 10 in the 1/8th. But it`ll look cool as hell smokin `em the whole damn way! :D
if it ran that slow I'd burn the car myself and fool with chevies more. lol. In all seriousness I had the 4.62 chunk setup way before I thought of a 460. i was just thinking on the stock engine. More than likely I will build a c9 or dove headed engine and shoot for high 6's-low 7's na

·
Registered
480 Posts
My car is around 3300# with me, 4.11, 28x10.5 M/T, lucky if it's 390hp. [email protected]
So you have about 430 flywheel horsepower from your weight and et. Probably alittle more hp than a cam and 750 carbed car like this guy is putting together.
I have always though that the less motor is made up with more gear (Higher #)
Justin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts