460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went racing over the weekend. Follow the link below for more details. In the 4th round I lost because my car pushed through the lights thus causing me to red-light. It's probably my own damn fault since it's the original master cylinder that came with the car back in 1979. It did have power brakes but I removed the vacuum canister and bolted it to the firewall with a shorter rod. Anyway I want to get a new MS so what do you guys recommend? I need to get one ASAP!

Should I just go to the parts store and say I wan a new master cylinder for a 1979 Mustang that came with a 4 cylinder turbo? Or is there another type that would work better like off of a ranger etc........

Link to Race Results Thread

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=3475

Muchas Gracious amigos!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If the factory M/C for that car worked OK before and stopped good, (but was just getting old) then use the same again (easy fix).

Look to other styles/brands of M/C only if you need bigger/smaller piston O.D., brake lines that exit in a different spot than factory, different size/weight M/C, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
If the factory M/C for that car worked OK before and stopped good, use the same again (easy fix).

Look to other styles/brands of M/C only if you need bigger/smaller piston O.D., brake lines that exit in a different spot than factory, different size/weight M/C, etc, etc.
That's what I'm thinking. It would be a lot easier and a very quick fix. Who wants to come over to push the pedal and help me bleed the brakes :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
New from AOL, Broadband brake bleeding from the comfort of your living room with help from around the country!......Just $99.99 a mounth, sign up now! (LOL)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Now if you could just get AOL to deliver fresh nitrous bottles through the computer,.....THAT would be usable service!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
558 Posts
Phantasea466 said:
Went racing over the weekend. Follow the link below for more details. In the 4th round I lost because my car pushed through the lights thus causing me to red-light. It's probably my own damn fault since it's the original master cylinder that came with the car back in 1979. It did have power brakes but I removed the vacuum canister and bolted it to the firewall with a shorter rod. Anyway I want to get a new MS so what do you guys recommend? I need to get one ASAP!

Should I just go to the parts store and say I wan a new master cylinder for a 1979 Mustang that came with a 4 cylinder turbo? Or is there another type that would work better like off of a ranger etc........

Link to Race Results Thread

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=3475

Muchas Gracious amigos!
Damon,
Go to the Ford dealer and buy the adapter plate necessary for using a manual brake master cylinder. You can also get it from various aftermarket Mustang suppliers (UPR, D&D, Maximum Motorsports, etc). Then, go to the parts store and buy a manual brake booster for a later model Ford Ranger. The brake lines on the Ranger exit the cylinder on the fender side so you free up some room between the master cylinder and the valve cover. That's the cheapest route. You can also just order a manual brake swap kit from these same aftermarket suppliers. Here are some links:
UPR
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=46&cat=Mustang+Brake+Accessories
Skinny Kid Race Cars
https://www.skinnykidracecars.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SKRC-MCYL7993&Category_Code=BRAKES1-05
Aerospace @ Jegs
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=21047&parentCategoryId=10161

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just ran across an extra Master Cylinder that I was using for Ford GT Brake Tube Testing (New still in the box). Looks like it will work. I made a few extra brake lines with the M10 and M12 nuts and ISO flares for the MS and the inverted flares with 3/8" nuts on the other end for my distribution block. I'm going to try and make this one work. I'll let you guys know how it goes after this weekend. I plan on working in the shop on Sunday.

If it does work then I'll have a Master Cylinder from the new Ford GT! That should add another 50 Horse Power :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Damon,

Are you sure you have the correct pedal ratio as well. I had scrapped the booster on my Futura years ago. It took a little longer to stop than I liked. I just picked up a manual brake pedal out of an old Fairmont for my Mustang.

I'll also email you this handy pedal ratio chart that someone on here posted awhile back. It'll quickly tell you how much pressure you have and/or need.........

John

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jbozzelle said:
Damon,

Are you sure you have the correct pedal ratio as well. I had scrapped the booster on my Futura years ago. It took a little longer to stop than I liked. I just picked up a manual brake pedal out of an old Fairmont for my Mustang.

I'll also email you this handy pedal ratio chart that someone on here posted awhile back. It'll quickly tell you how much pressure you have and/or need.........

John
I'm not sure. I know it used to stop a little easier when I wasn't going as fast :lol:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you didn't change the pedal then you have the wrong ratio for that car with manual brakes. The pedal I have has the MC rod mounting point moved up a good bit.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Either relocate the one you have or drill a new hole and use a rod end on the end of the pushrod.

Also, if you relocate the existing one you may not have room for the brake light switch due to the "new" weld which will be in the way.....

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts