460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a shortblock... I am looking for a shortblock..it can be a 429 or 460 or even a stroker it doesnt matter much. All that matters is that it has forged pistons (for sj heads/standard) and a set of H beam forged rods....Looking for something in the 10.1 compression ratio with 72-75cc heads..... Something that can handle about 700hp. of course be balanced.. and be fresh unless the price reflects if it needs new rigs and bearings. If it has a cam with it even better if its a solid...

I have cash in Hand!!! Located in South jersey... .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prolly used...not sure how much a new one goes for?

I have a decent amount of money... Rather not say if I do everyone will want a much as I got...

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Prolly used...not sure how much a new one goes for?

I have a decent amount of money... Rather not say if I do everyone will want a much as I got...
To quote a wise man....

Good luck with that!
Some of us may be able to work within a budget to give you the most value for your money, but not without knowing how much you have to work with. Cheapest =/= best. Put another way....strong-cheap-fast: pick two.

;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just don't understand why there so much? For instance a stroker kit is what $1200-$1400 Rings and bearings like $120... Boring is what $200... Where is the rest of the cost?

So if someone has a offset ground crank or even a stock crank it be even cheaper....

Not trying to be rude just curious

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just don't understand why there so much? For instance a stroker kit is what $1200-$1400 Rings and bearings like $120... Boring is what $200... Where is the rest of the cost?

So if someone has a offset ground crank or even a stock crank it be even cheaper....

Balancing rotating assembly.
Setting ring/bearing clearances.
Engine block machine work.
Short block assembly.

To name a few...

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

A properly built shortblock is not just a collection of parts. Labor and knowledge are not free, and offset ground cranks are not cheaper than cranks made in China.

But, lets add some basics to your list....

-cost of a core block
-teardown of core engine
-hot tank/clean block
-magnaflux the block to check for cracks
-line hone (if needed)
-bore block
-balance rotating assembly
-fit pins to rods/pistons
-check/correct rods for straightness and/or recondition them
-assemble rods/pistons
-grind/polish crank
-juggle several sets of bearings to set clearances
-file fit rings
-assemble engine and measure deck
-tear down engine
-deck block
-re-clean block
-install cam bearings and freeze plugs (plus the cost of cam bearings and freeze plugs)
-re-assemble engine re-checking clearances
-measure/set rod bolt stretch
-rear main seal
-mask and paint

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess when you do all that yourself or most of it it's cheaper....

I would build my own short but seems like I should of been able to find something decent for $1000-$1500 especially used.. But maybe I'm completlly wrong...

Who knows I'll see what happens If nothing comes out of it I'll just buy some rods and pistons I guess... Who knows..

Thanks for the info though

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Here's my best deal for you. An easy 500HP shortblock that will handle a 200 shot.

I have a 1970 429 CJ core motor with forged pistons.

I'll build you a shortblock using the 429 CJ pistons and crank, new 4130 cap screw I-beam rods, block cleaned/machined/decked with all the clearances set and documented for the low-low price of $1595.00. (this will give you approx 10.5:1 compression with 75cc heads).

:cool:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Hmm that is good... The I beams will be ok though?
They're the strongest press-fit rod available. Only thing stronger is a 4340 rod, but they're all bushed for floating pins. The factory pistons require press-fit.

PM or call if you want to discuss it further.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I guess when you do all that yourself or most of it it's cheaper....

I would build my own short but seems like I should of been able to find something decent for $1000-$1500 especially used.. But maybe I'm completlly wrong...

Who knows I'll see what happens If nothing comes out of it I'll just buy some rods and pistons I guess... Who knows..

Thanks for the info though
Like I said, good luck with that...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not trying to be sarcastic, you get what you pay for. Unless a smokin deal falls from the sky and lands on your head, plan on paying the price for a quality piece that will last more than a few minutes or a few runs. Carl's deal is just that, a well prepared used short block and a good deal for the money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you really know what a 200 HP Shot will do??

Do you really know what a 200 HP Shot of NOS will do to stock Pistons if you don't have everything just right???? I am guessing that you don't know how to set an engine up to handle that much NOS because you don't know what it cost to build an engine that can handle it or one that makes the same power without it. If you don't have the fuel Pressure just right for the Nitrous and the timing retared just when you spray you can say goodbye to your Good Deal Budget Motor. These guys are trying to help you out. You don't just gobble up a bunch of parts and expect the end result to be a good one. It takes decades to learn the correct way to build an engine and not all engines need the same specifcations on clearances. Some need more than others and every different engine family has unique wants to do the same job. Go slow because I was once told a couple of pretty cool things to live by.
One is, if you see a Machinist in a hurry, he has screwed something up and is trying to fix it before anyone finds out or he is getting ready to screw something up.

Two, sometimes slower is faster. Mike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your probally right... As my small block 302... Blew up after 10-15 passes at 175 shot... All I did was a little bigger on rings... It did do good at 125 shot.. But I just picked up a stroker kit.

Thanks for all the help seriously. I want to Learn not be rude in any way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts