460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a ton of reading on this site for the last 3 weeks and have learned a lot about the 460. This in not my first high performance engine build, but the first time with a 460. So here goes my application, starting foundation and proposed parts list and some questions.

The 460 will be for my 5000 lbs 1979 F-150 shot box 4x4. I do not tow, off road or race the truck, it's mainly used for hauling light loads and as a back up rig. The engine I have purchased is a 1994 EFI 460 with matching ZF 5 speed. I intend to remove the 351m and t-18 I currently have (and hate) and replace them with the 460/ZF combo.

Reviewing the "460 Horsepower Charts" I'm shooting for the 375-400hp build and plan to use a carburetor as I have none of the EFI stuff accept the intake. Knowing what I have to start with and what's available, can I use the f3te heads (ported) and EFI intake (ported) with this power range of build or should I move to the c8-d0 heads and RPM/Stealth intake? Which head would be easier to port for this level of build? Would ported Pro Comps be an option for me? Also, would it hurt to move to larger 2.19/1.71 Stainless valves at that time? I plan to do the port work myself along with my dad, as we enjoy doing a lot of our own work. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Cleaned up D3VE's , CJ replacement cam , 68-71 timing chain , edelbrock performer intake , Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm , recurved duraspark distributor .

Very basic combo and reliable as hell !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts