460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished a dual battery box made of .024" sheet metal and need ideas for something to coat the inside of the box to protect it from battery acid.

I was thinking about using a thin coating of fiberglass resin, but was wondering if there was something that might work better. Does anyone make a rubber or plastic brush on coating that might work? Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do you have anyone around you that does spray on truck bed liners? they'd probably coat the battery box for you pretty cheap. If not, you could buy one of the do-it-yourself kits.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I'm not really sure how it would hold up, but the Hammerite Rustoleum is a pretty durable paint and would be cheap/easy

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Thanks for the ideas, they all sound like they would hold up to tire shake/vibration OK.

Don't know why I didn't think of Brock's suggestion because there is a shop up the street from me that does bed liners (D'oh!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would avoid the fiberglass resin. I've seen too many Fox Mustang trays that had disintegrated. You might try ceramic coating. I work at a battery factory and can tell you from experience that nothing stands up to acid forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts