460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a complete dove motor and c6 transmission for $100 the other day. I start looking for an engine stand to put it on and a buddy says he has one. He brings over a cheap T shaped stand. Needless to say, it is not going to work. Where are you guys buying your stand and at what weight rating? The part of his that bolted to the block wouldnt even go wide enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
119 Posts
I picked up a cheapo 1000lb stand from harbor freight. Not recommended. I also leave it hooked to the cherry picker.

Some auto parts stores will rent stands, if you will only need it once. . .

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you want to fix one of those cheapie chinese stands, bolt it all together, clean off the paint, and WELD it solid. I would then add in an additional bracing facing forward, of course clearing any attached oil pan. As what I have experienced, the load rating must be a flub in the kg to # conversion. They can stand about half of what they are rated for.

As for the mounting arms, you don't have to bolt them to the very top holes. You just want it held on to the stand.

Brian

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
O'Reilly's has some pretty good ones... They have AC Delco stickers on them, but they work very well as they are of the 4 whell variety, and not 3... I bought 4 of them @ $59.99 ea., they're bolt together stands, and I never had an issue... But, I welded mine anyway, that's just how I roll...:D

I also bought one of their engine hoists, it's collapsable for easy storage, and it also works very well... No welding necessary ;)...

Doug...:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts