460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello its the 24th and we our tring to get our Artic Cat runninin. :cry:

First of all it is a powder special 600.

It was running a month ago,now we snow and really want to go for a ride ,but no go.

Tried filling fuel lines,pulled plugs,checked wires. It will run while manually giving it fuel but quits. Asked around and noboby seems to know here (CANADA)

Im thinking electrical but dont know where to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Marry Christmas Everyone ........

Steve

·
Registered
385 Posts
all engines need 3 things to run. spark, fuel and compression. which are you missing?

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump is giving fits. I don't know exactly what kind it has, but I'm betting it ain't getting the fuel to the carb, or the carb is dirty and needs a good cleaning. I would bet that there is a pump on the side of the motor that pumps using pulses from the crankcase. It is a diaphragm style pump. 8)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What I would check is the float bowls to see if there's any water in them. Some times they run when it's warmer but then it snow and it get cold after words and then the water freezes in the carb. and shuts off the main jets.

All it takes is one little drop of water and it won't run .

Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Merry Christmas !!

This motor is fuel injected. We have a pressure gadge in the fuel system,been told it should run around 30psi. While we do have it running,reads 0.

Had in warm garage while working on it,so ice shouldnt be the issue.

It seems the pump is not working or the injectors are not opening.

Is their any certain way to purge the fuel system ?

We tried filling the fuel line,then pressure it up with air thinking that would fill the fuel system. Then is would again run for a few secs,but still zero.

Its a real nice day to go for a rip, hate to spend Christmas day out in the garage.

Thanks again for the help,Steve

·
Registered
456 Posts
The fuel pump is down. The system uses the electricity for the inj & pump so if the plugs will fire you need to do the pump or regulator if the pump will run. Those cat efi's are usually pretty good. How much resistance is on the pump wires? Can you unplug it and power it up externally and get pressure? Remove what does work in the equasion first. I will be riding tomorrow with my wife -09 & 06 rev 800's. Hope you get out too !!! Tres.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your help,and sorry a bit late to say it. Been too busy riding ,hehehe
Turned out to be a simple but stupid overlooked problem. We didnt even have the wires to the fuel pump hooked up at all.
Wasnt my machine,but my new son innlaw if you like to say.
He swore the wires went to an electric fuel gadge that never worked.
Well I looked down inside the tank,and WHAT ? a fuel PUMP? Yep.
Pluged it in,second pull,on the snow it was.
What a wicked ride.
See ya Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts