460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 78 460 thats going into a 77 f150 for casual driving. The motor did not have a fan attached to it when I picked it up.

In looking for fans and in reading opinions it looks like a clutch and fan work pretty good. I have found 5 blade and 7 blade and everything in between. A clutch that goes to a 71 ltd is different in price than a clutch to an f250 and not sure what works.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, as to what fan and clutch, I should look at and for what model?

·
Registered
477 Posts
The truck clutch fan(blade assembly itself) is a heavier duty design compared to a car application, it uses a different bolt circle mounting, different blade O.D., different blade design and different blade pitch as compared to a "regular" duty clutch fan designed for a car application. Here is the difference I speak of, the upper pic is a car application fan(VERY similar to a '75 or '76 Thunderbird 460 clutch fan), the lower is a truck 460 fan(note part numbers):

This clutch fan will use a Hayden 2710 or 2711 fan clutch (3.00" bolt circle mounting)

This clutch fan will use a Hayden 2799 fan clutch(3,25" bolt circle mounting)

I would use the correct 7 blade clutch fan(lower pic) with the heavier duty clutch(Hayden 2799).
Hope this is helpful.

BTW, don't forget to use the proper fan shroud as well!

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
The car and truck HD thermostatic clutches lock up at different temps.

Be sure to utilize the version with the bimetalic spring and valve on the face.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The car and truck HD thermostatic clutches lock up at different temps.

Be sure to utilize the version with the bimetalic spring and valve on the face.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D
Do you know what temperatures the two clutches lock up at, and which locks up first. Could make a difference for extreme weight applications.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts