460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't in a mustang or related, but I'm having trouble starting a new 460 in my 71 ford truck. It is completely rebuilt from top to bottom. I went from points to duraspark when I rebuilt the motor. I also put in a 200 amp alt from a EFI 460 out of an abulance. I wired it up like I was wiring in a 130 amp alt. I also used the serpintene belt system out of that same EFI 460. So I finally have everything wired up and ready to go. I pull off a carb from a running parts car (74 Lincoln w/ 460). That 74 lincoln runs like a champ so I decided to use the lincoln carb to break in the motor, then I will swap to a holley 750. So I'm all ready to start the truck. I pulled the dizzy and used my air tools to spin the oil pump (CCW) for 3 minutes. Then I put the dizzy in and tried to crank it up. I got a couple of small pops out of the carb so I knew the timing was off. Sure enough I pull #1 plug and use a large wrachet to turn the motor over. I set the timing to 40 BTDC and start moving to 10 BTDC. I don't get any compression so I know I'm 180 out. I pull the dizzy, move the motor 180, set it to 40 BTDC and then move it to 10 BTDC. I gets lots of compression w/ my finger over the spark plug hole so now I know I'm on the compression stroke. Set the dizzy to 10 BTDC and all it set. I hit the key and it just turns over. I put a little gas down the carb and it still doesn't catch. I adjust the timing a little and it still doesn't catch. Adjust the timing again and still no catch. I know gas is getting to the carb. I know the carb runs great in the lincoln. I know I'm at least close on the timing.

What is the best way to check for spark w/ duraspark? Do you just put the plug to the block (wire still attached) and hit the key to check for spark. Thats how I used to do it w/ the points, but I'm now sure w/ the duraspark. Anything else I should check?

Can you check the timing w/ out the truck running, just by turning the motor over w/ the starter w/ the timing light hooked up?

Lots of things have gotten in my way over the last couple of years (yep, I've had a new motor in my truck for 2 years and I'm just now getting to try and start it), and now that I'm finally close I really want to get it done. I have about ten things I want to do once I get my truck running.

I'm going to check the firing order first thing when I get home tomorrow. Just to make sure I thinking the right way, the front two cylinders are #1 and #8 correct. #1 is on the passenger side and #8 is the front of the drivers side.

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Try some starting fluid...............

2 year old gas will screw you.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
still figuring out this new deal... LOL

Try some starting fluid. Old gas sucks for initial startup of a fresh mill.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
firing order

sort of

rear
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
front

distributor
4 5
2 1
6 8
3 7

counterclockwise rotation on the distributor

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
firing order

sort of

rear
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
front

distributor
4 5
2 1
6 8
3 7

counterclockwise rotation on the distributor

1 is usually marked.

Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cletus,

I get what you are saying. I've got the right firing order on the distributor, but I might have my cylinders off. I can't remimber if I used 8 as the front drivers side or back drivers side. I will check when I get off work.

tubais,

I will check that voltage. Since I got a small back fire when I was 180 out, I think I am probably getting good spark, but you never know.

The truck has fresh gas.

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pull a couple of plugs out...

Pull a couple of plugs out! Especially the rear ones as gas flows downhill and see if they are wet- gas fowled plugs wont ignite pof course, but just heating them up with a propane torch and reinstalling them wont be enough if the gas is two years old- they will just fowl again before you can get your timing set right. Clean, fresh fuel is a must on this stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts