460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time post but I need some advice. For the past 9 months I have been working on getting my car ready for the strip. I put in a 429 with a TCI c6 tranny.

I have an electric fuel pump that goes to the fuel regulator and then to a Holley 750DP-mechanical. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel rail and it reads between 6-7 psi when pump is on. Now heres the problem, when the pump is on I also have gas dripping from under the butterfly's on the backside. I pulled the sight plugs and rechecked the float levels and they are just below the edge. What else should I be looking for. When it did fire up it the exhaust smelled very rich and pulling the plugs proved that it was.

So in a brief recap, when I turn the fuel pump on gas starts fast dripping into the intake.

Any advice would be nice. I have had many hurdles with this install and race season is coming up fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Try less fuel pressure. Maybe the gauge is off.

A torn or displaced power valve gasket will dump fuel.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Some Holleys have a stop screw on the secondarys so that the throttle blades don't close too far and stick in the bore. Pull the carb and turn it over, you'll be able to see the screw if it has it.
Rob

·
Registered
671 Posts
With a Holley, sometimes the bowl screws get overtightened and warp the carb body until the power valley in the center of the gasket doesn't seal. Lay a straight edge across the bolt holes to check. If warped, you can file the surface flat and get a fresh start.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
how much fuel press are you running?

take off the carb, and the bowels

get a rubber tip blow gun (5psi) and very easy put air in where the fuel line connects ,as you do this raise the float with your finger. keep going to the top and listen if the air stops going thru.

when it does float should be less then 3/4 way to the top. if it doesn't stop change the ned/seat . IF you have to go all the way to the top the float is way too high, set it down to where it stops at the halfway mark.< this is a starting point/baseline

If this takes care of it ? hook up your fuel line while carb is off the car and turn the pump on,being carful TO NOT TURN IT ON AND LET IT GO, GO ..OFF ON,OFF ON ,OFF ON A FEW TIMES AND YOU WILL HEAR THE FLOAT JUMP UP. seen way too many guys bend the float tab that closes the seat just flipping the switch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts