460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my high rpm small block 86 Mustang coupe drag car with a 2001 body in white Mustang. The car is in the process of being caged and back-halved with a four link, 9" rear and 33x14 slicks. I want the new car to weigh between 2600-2800lbs and run in the mid to high eights with a powerglide. Can anyone help me figure out a good combo based on a FRPP a460 block? (I was thinking a built 598") I have never dealt with big blocks before and only used 302 and 351w combos in the past. Don't want to spend a fortune if possible. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Big Engine Combination...

A 598 is good but I prefer a 572, (4.600" bore x 4.300" stroke), to keep the rod/stroke ratio around the 1.6/1 figure. For some reason longer stroke engines than 4.300" seem to add torque however, the horsepower doesn't go much higher and the extra maintainance involved with keeping a well sealed short block is not worth the trade-off to me.
A set of A460 heads is almost a given with wanting to go in the eights so I'd talk with Lem Evans and Charlie Evans about exactly what you would want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Ron

Just my 2 cents. Running mid 8s at 2800 lbs with A-head 572 isnt easy without power adders. been there done that. I would go with either the 598 or 632 motor its either that or switch to C-heads. I cant stress enough keep the weight down on your car , its free Horsepower.
and yes talk to Charlie or Lem Evens. There Great Guys and its hard to beat there Ford experience. Good Luck / Stan

·
8,522 Posts
Wow Randy ! I thought Phillip Oakley and I were the only people that thought the "sweet" spot for the "A" head stuff was in the 550"-580" range . The 4.560"-4.625" X 4.300" with a 6.800" rod has been good for us .

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
950 horsepower and 2800 pounds should be well into the 8's..

If you can't make it into the 8's at 2800 lbs. with 950 horsepower, (that's about what an average 572 with good "A" heads will make), then there is something else wrong with that combination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to Lem today, great guy and excellent source of big block info. Thanks for everyone's input, I will be starting to contact sponsors and rounding up the parts to make a nice big block. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts