460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good web forums for the Mustangs and there 281 modulars? Im looking at an 01 GT and need reading material for upgrading this car. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Laterz
Will.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i raced a blown two valve 4.6 for eight years. i now have a 3 valve 06 gt, and a 3 valve f250. the thing i have noted with mod motors> the small block power adder line of crap "its all in the tune man"....lol as another hi dollar forged short block spews busted parts thru the blower and both heads. another 20 grand down the drain.
.....build a fox body pushrod motor and save your self a lot of dough and grief.....fwiw bobn

ps sorry for the negative rant

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
zephyrbob said:
i raced a blown two valve 4.6 for eight years. i now have a 3 valve 06 gt, and a 3 valve f250. the thing i have noted with mod motors> the small block power adder line of crap "its all in the tune man"....lol as another hi dollar forged short block spews busted parts thru the blower and both heads. another 20 grand down the drain.
.....build a fox body pushrod motor and save your self a lot of dough and grief.....fwiw bobn

ps sorry for the negative rant

So sad... But so true... :wink: :wink: The Mod-Motors are great engines in a sense, and can make alot of power, but like Bob said, dollar for dollar the pushrod motors are the way to go... Just my opinion as well... :wink:

Be C 8) 8) L,

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now i have't raced one yet..thinking about building one. I have done my homework on them but go to turbomustangs.com and go to the modular section. There is guys on there stock block, cobra forged crank, stock 4v heads, cams and just putting forged pistons/rodson the shortblock making 1000+ hp the rear wheels easily. They motors seem to be holding up pretty good and for dollar to dollar. Its tough to build a 1k-1.5k shortblock for around 3k like they are doing in a pushrod motor

If your looking for a shortblock i would look into proline or modular mustang racing (holds the record). They are all priced reasonably

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Im not building a race engine im just buying an 01 Mustang GT with one in it and want to do a little reading so i know where im at with buying a few bolt ons for it. Thanks for the sites guys.

Laterz
Will.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fordtrucks said:
Hey guys. Im not building a race engine im just buying an 01 Mustang GT with one in it and want to do a little reading so i know where im at with buying a few bolt ons for it. Thanks for the sites guys.

Laterz
Will.
Throw on a Rousch supercharger with a good exhaust and chip and be done with it. Plenty of power to scare them bowties.

I have a 2V 4.6L in my '97 F150 and it's a dog. Barely moves the truck around while getting 8mpg on good days. Gutless POS...

·
Registered
508 Posts
there is a a problem with the mod motors and thats lack of aftermarket, hell there are maybe 1 or 2 aftermarket heads for the motors if that. They are also quite expensive, however, if you are insistent upon it, then get urself a dart block, and a cobra cank with some forged rods and pistons, and add either a blower or turbo. the 4v teskid aluminum or even the cobra iron blocks are all good for at least 1200 hp stock, and so is the crank. talk to sean highland, i think thats how you spell it. google him he knows everything about these motors.

good luck
Fordtrucks said:

Laterz
Will.

·
Registered
967 Posts
dollar for dollar,from scratch yes the push rods are,better,but ive never seen a stock production,heads cam,block,crank ect stay together at 650hp,like up oh........the 03-04 cobra engines.STOCK PRODUCTION SMALL BLOCKS.yes they are expensive to build,but when built right they are impressive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine runs really good its a 96 which was the worst years and the first for the 4.6 in a Mustang. Runs alright have a cold air intake, trick flow plenum and bigger throttle body. Gets around 20 mpg and has 150,000 plus miles with nothing changed but the oil, spark plugs and some new wires. I like them but not as easy to work on as a pushrod motor. But overall I like them.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Advice

If you're staying NA, my advice is to forget about dreams of adding 50hp NA...and concentrate on the low hanging fruit.

Mufflers, a filter, pulleys. Changing the exhaust manifolds does nearly nothing. Changing the exhaust tubing does nearly nothing as well. Cams move the power band around and tend to make it more doggy off the line...I've never been happy with an NA cam swap in a modular for a street car. You can sink a lot of energy into trying to get more than an additional 20hp NA...it just isn't very attainable without side effects that make the car less fun to drive.

Instead, spend money on things like suspension and brakes and rear gears...that will had a lot more grin factor for the buck.

Or, if horsepower is your thing, go directly to a blower kit for substantial gains and make sure you use a conservative tuner. Don't exceed 400rwhp. Don't let it ping...EVER.

B

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok well since some of you guys here seem to know some things I will discuss my ideas here so i dont have to register else where. The car already has a 3" lowered suspension and Flomaster exhaust. I decided not to go the supercharger route due to the cost involved and other projects I have going at this time as well. I am however looking into adding these parts to make it a little better than it is now and look better to.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BBK-1718
These I will ceramic coat here before instalation
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BIG-12115FLT
Ive herd bad things about this kit so i may look for a different one. Same idea though.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-82023
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-329703

And the BBK Aluminum cam covers for the look factor.

Im thinking the N2O would be my biggest power adder at the 125 shot. The other stuff would just help things out. Ide also like to remove the cats and open up the pipes a bit and re use the flow master muffler.... Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
the three inch lowering is going to make the stance alot better for the car but the ride is really going to suck unless he has spent quite a bit more on other suspension mods. With a set of low profile tires on it which my 275.40.17 are than the ride would really not be very good. As said before any mods as far as with the exhaust will not make a huge difference with these motors. I bought the air intake kit, plenum, and throttle body for a little of nothing or I would not have done it to my car. I also did it for a chance later that I would move towards a blower on the car if not a turbo application. Of course that was before family so priorities have changed. Unless your thinking of some kind of boost I would spend very little on a setup with headers and such. I hate nitrous so I will keep any comments of that to myself :D But these cars really do well with boost if they are tuned by someone who is good at tuning a car. The blocks are very good pieces and can handle some serious horsepower and when you move towards the modular parts for cobra's your in an even different ballpark, no stock 302 pushrod block would handle the amount of horsepower. The good thing on your side is that the mustang is a later year car with the PI heads so your could actually do some porting yourself on them to get some extra power from them because the aftermarket stuff is little more than stock with some portwork done at a high cost. So your good with the 2001 model GT. Some new ground cams port work on the heads, cold air intake, 75 mm throttle body and your looking at 300+ pretty easily. Of course this is most likely depending on the port work and cams. I spent years on the 4.6 boards learning stuff like being on here and there are some guys making some amazing power with these engines. I would if you wanting to drive the car for a while is put a procharger kit on it, get a really good tune and you can drive the car for a long while. Mine is north of 150,000 right now and still going strong. Good luck and if you need anything else feel free to ask. I have a few friends with the TESKID blocks in their cars running 750+hp in their cars for a few seasons now, never blown anything. Try doing that without paying for a very good 302 block, really good set of heads, forged pistons and what not. You can ask Roush or Bowles how well these cars can run. Good luck!

·
Registered
967 Posts
i bout a 04 mach1 about a month ago has 21k on it its an auto,im truly amased with this thing has for being stock its an auto car,2v mod motors are ok,but you step up to the 4v motors whole nuther ball game.hell ive seen the new shellby 500 mustang lay down 650hp on pump gas with a newer kenny bell at like 12psi of boost to the wheels,truly amazing for a pruduction motor with ony what 331 of cid.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
331?? Does it have the 5.4L? The 4.6 is a 281. And I agree that there nicely built engines.

I dunno all the details on this 01GT but even with the sespension kit it rides pretty nicely yet. It runs good.

So to get this straight most of youhere are NOT in favor of the exhaust modds?? It would do nothing other than look cool when open the hood?

Ide love to boost it but the cost involved right now is kind of out. I need to get almost 2K sent to Carl here on the forum for my BBF Heads. That kind of eats up my blower cash. This GT already has a 4.11 posi unit in the rear so im not going to change that. Just looking to get a few more ponies for it. I think the serpintine kit, cold air intake and the Nitrous will do it so if you guys know of a good N2O kit let me know.. Also do I have to buy a mustang kit or will any EFI WET kit work fine? Thanks guys..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts