460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got off work...got in my ranger. It cranked up the first turn...ran good. Left going down the highway and all of a sudden my truck starts slowing down. It stopped and died. Turned it over but will not run. I checked the spark...it's getting it. Both fuel pumps are working and I heard the rear fuel pump suck up the gas in the tank

It's a 1985 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.3L (Fuel injected) with 5 spd manual trans.

Any idea what it could be?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Derek you have a good ear if you can hear the pump sucking up gas if you hear that you might be out of gas have you checked your fuel filter yet and make sure it don't have water in it and has gas in it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Oh yea the pump in the tank should have a sock filter on it it may be stoped up. But check and make sure you do have fire to the plugs

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derek you have a good ear if you can hear the pump sucking up gas if you hear that you might be out of gas have you checked your fuel filter yet and make sure it don't have water in it and has gas in it.
It has no fuel filter when I checked..

I just replaced my rear sending unit and fuel pump assembly in the tank and it is reading quarter of a tank....

Coil is getting spark...I know..I felt it running through me..

Spark plug wires getting spark..I felt that too.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
That don't mean it has a 1/4 of tank might be hung up on the wires that go to the pump they might have got over with the sending unit when you put it back together

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There like this weird looking thing with two hoses on one side but its like in a tight spot...looks like I have to remove the skid plate to get to it...Idk...

I tap the gas tank...it sounds empty but only way to find out is to stick something down and check.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you sure the timing belt didnt hop?
That is what I was thinking.For a quick check line up the timing marks on the balancer to TDC and then pop the distributor cap.The rotor should be pointing to the #1 cylinder or 180 deg away.If it is pointing somewhere else it is a sign the belt may have slipped.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I remember in the 90"s that I went over a parking block to take a short cut. As soon as I jumped the block the engine quit. It tripped a roll-over switch which I knew nothing about even being there. Was I ever red faced when I was told what it was.

Your truck may not even have one but, it is something to check out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was talking with some of yall on chat last night.

I check the valve stem on the fuel rail- ITS GETTING FUEL

I check the spark the other day after it died- ITS GETTING SPARK FROM THE COIL AND SPARK PLUG WIRES

I checked one of the spark plugs- ITS GREYISH COLOR

FOUND A WIRE THAT WAS BROKEN OFF THE GROUND. GOT IT BACK ON AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT TURNS OVER BETTER...Think it was the wire to the fuel system.

Well I got my battery charged up and I smelled gas so it is getting gas. It sounded like it wanted to run while ago but then just kept turning over and then random act like it wants to crank up and run......so......idk...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My timing belt looks to be old and dry rotted some.........i didn't take off the cover yet...

I really don't know how to time it.

I tried putting on a new belt on my Ford Couriers 2.3 but it was a pain in the ***...

Blah...

·
Registered
43 Posts
my neighbor's ranger died the other day,pulled it to our shop started checkin fuel and spark, all was good, pulled the air filter out and it was stopped completely up with a rats nest, blew all the crap out of it and it started right up, usually something simple (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only checked one plug and it looked dry.

It's getting good bit of compression cause you can hear it when you have the spark plug out and turn the engine over.

I got a new timing belt but I got to remove the bottom damn crank pully. Ain't that some crap?

I ain't carrying it to a mechanic (I don't want to but Idk)....friend said he has an air compressor and impact wrench..he will bring it later today....this sucks...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok....I got the crank pully off..

I used my man strength and took the bolt off. Thought I would needed a pully puller but the pully just slide right off!!!! :eek:

Well I took the old belt off.

Got my cam needle on the cam pully align with the point and then I got the crank mark on the crank pully aligned with the TC (mark) on the timing belt cover. Guess I am doing it right?

What about that other pully? Is it for the oil drive or distributor? Do I need to align it?

Also HOW THE HELL DO I TIGHTEN THE TENSIONER!!?!?!??!? I tried but belt still loose!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts