460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Good all around, affordable revolver would be the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. Can run .38spl through it for practice, .357Mag for home defense.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
chilly said:
Good all around, affordable revolver would be the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. Can run .38spl through it for practice, .357Mag for home defense.
good suggestion. .38 spl is cheap for pratice/plinking.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
S&W also makes some Excelent Revolvers too.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree with Chilly, Ruger GP100 in a 4" barrel. 6 is too long, 2 is too short. Shoot a ton of .38 spl, but make sure to shoot a bunch of 357 as well, so you know how it will behave. Kind of like releasing the brake on a 557 vs. a 302...

The Ruger is also a very strong frame. 1 piece design, it can handle the hottest rounds.

John.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For a wheelgun,,, I'd buy a S&W every time.. Consistently best action made,,, the .357 recommendation is spot on.. Stainless for a carry gun- you sweat right?! Remember the gun you leave at Home on the Nightstand because it's too heavy to carry regular is useless!!! see this link on AR.15.com http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=16&t=65739 Brian F

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I too am a huge fan of the S&W revolvers. Dan Wesson is a very good quality revolver too. Here is a pic of my two revolvers. Middle is a 629 S&W .44Mag. Bottom is a Dan Wesson .357Mag, very portable and easy to shoot.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Take your time and find a good deal. As of now, the gun dealers can't keep guns in stock. You have a few months left. My dealer has sold more weapons in the last month and a half than he did the first 9 this year. When I request something, he has to look quite a bit to find a supplier who has one. If 'certain' people do what they say they would do and is on their website, the Brady campaign will look like the good old days. :cry:
http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/1/0/115973601.html

EDIT: added website

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Here is what i roll with..............

Ruger Superblackhawk, .44 mag of course.

Has had some trigger work, you pull the hammer back and whatever is in line with the barrel is now a hole. Best 200 cash I ever spent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ruger's are strong, Dan Wesson's are accurate, S&W's are pretty. Don't mess with a 9 cause you gotta shot everything twice. The 357 goes through a windshield pretty well and I like them OK. I carry a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 41 mag as the big stick in my truck and a Walter P22 as my pocket gun.
Andy

·
Registered
349 Posts
uf63

Location: St. Paul, Mn Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:40 am Post subject: Need some firearms help

First time hand gun purchaser. Revolver under $500.00 What should I buy?
UF63, what are your intended uses for this handgun. That will narrow down what would be your best option. Pete

·
Registered
560 Posts
LOL! If some of you folks think we're not gonna be able to purchase handguns after Jan 20th, I think you should relax a bit, there is no way the US is gonna let any government disarm it.
Never gonna happen, no way. :?

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Yoeman said:
LOL! If some of you folks think we're not gonna be able to purchase handguns after Jan 20th, I think you should relax a bit, there is no way the US is gonna let any government disarm it.
Never gonna happen, no way. :?

Osama, I mean Obama oh whats the difference, tried to have a law passed in Ill. to have the law go in house to house and remove any firearms no questions ask. guess when his Musliums come over he wants to make sure they don't get shot at ! he made the comment the public needs no firearms.. :idea:

Randy

·
Registered
49 Posts
I vote for a S&W 686.

I've got two 8-3/8's which are damn accurate and just picked up a 4" today. I'm hoarding 686's!

My 629 Classic DX .44 is even more accurate than the 686's.

Nowadays I tend to get a lot of stares rolling up to a range with a long revolver. People just don't shoot them anymore.

I can't hit **** with my .40 S&W Hi Power, but can put a .357 anywhere I want it with my 686's.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
for pistols, I shoot a .357 Ruger Security Six and a .44 S&W Model 29. The Ruger is VERY accurate (6" barrel). The S&W is prettier and has a lighter trigger (both single and double action) compared to the Ruger, but it has a 4" barrel and while not terribly inaccurate, it's not even close compared to the decently tight groups I get with the Ruger.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I going to the range next week, they have about 50 pistols they will let you fire, so I'm going to take your suggestions and give them a shot (bad pun). It will be fore personal security/ conceal and carry, I work in a bad part of town and home sucurity, plus just want to get in to some fun shooting. Thanks fore your help. :D

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I never implied that they would not be able to be bought, but the prices will (and have been) rising.

At the risk of keeping this thread safe I will just post a website. All these facts are documented with certain people's own words, votes or website promises.

http://www.gunbanobama.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts