460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ranger has been making this grinding noise when I try to turn it over....I kept turning it over and stopping until the truck will crank. So it was the starter.

Anyways.. I removed the starter and checked it and the flywheel..

I went to go get a new starter....

Put it on and my trucks key will turn on the fuel pump but won't start the engine...so I just turn the key on to where the fuel pump is working and got a screw driver and bump the solinoid..

My new starter will spin....but won't turn over the engine.

I thought the flywheel had enough grip to grab the starter teeth...like wtf!??!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told them a 2.3L 85 ford ranger

Didn't tell them it had a 5 spd in it...

But it looked like the same except I notice my old starter had like a hole in the end of the starter (that goes in the flywheel area)

·
Registered
715 Posts
X on the flywheel, there may still be plenty of material left but the area that's missing won't allow the starter to mesh correctly and it's just going to grind up the starter drive.

·
Registered
715 Posts
More trouble than it's worth. Rock Auto has Ring Gears for $36-38 new Flywheels for $45-89. They also have a Clutch kit on close out for $61, may as well replace that while the tranny's out. Cheap parts, check them out http://www.rockauto.com/

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If it needs the ring gear replaced carry it to tompson machine shop in douglas he can put it on for you.You have to heat it then slip it on and let it cool but you got to make sure everything is lined up right.That where I had my rearend welded back after I narrowed it they do great work and can do it for you.

Jim

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I re-check the whole complete flywheel...yes it has some wear but there is no missing teeth.

The starter should catch....something's up with the starter..idk...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts