460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 76 thunderbird C6s for the 460. Im planning to rebuild one for my 521 BBF. they both have the long tailshafts and I want to replace it with the shorter ones so i can use the easy trans mount.

I just purchased a short style tailshaft mount off ebay, and I know i need to get a shorter output shaft to match but i cant seem to get any information on the shaft length.

my current shaft has a 9 tooth speedo gear as well. I can purchase a used C6 output shaft that is 23" long and has 9 tooth speedo gear... it states that it wont fit a lincoln trans... is this the one i need?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have two 76 thunderbird C6s for the 460. Im planning to rebuild one for my 521 BBF. they both have the long tailshafts and I want to replace it with the shorter ones so i can use the easy trans mount.

I just purchased a short style tailshaft mount off ebay, and I know i need to get a shorter output shaft to match but i cant seem to get any information on the shaft length.

my current shaft has a 9 tooth speedo gear as well. I can purchase a used C6 output shaft that is 23" long and has 9 tooth speedo gear... it states that it wont fit a lincoln trans... is this the one i need?
if it has the splined end on the shaft then id say it is the correct one, the only other one i know of is the four wheel drive truck shaft with bolt on yoke !

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
sounds like you got the right on . need output shaft and tail housing . also some seal and gaskets . while you have the trans apart check condition of the clutchs/band

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
if it has the splined end on the shaft then id say it is the correct one, the only other one i know of is the four wheel drive truck shaft with bolt on yoke !
there is 4 types of outputs .....like you said-- the truck one 4x4 , long Lincoln , std.pass. in iron (CJ) and aluim. and truck w/transfer mounted on the C6

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys... i have what looks to be a short little plastic slip on groove thing that is on the output shaft i just purchased... it has a ford logo on it. ITs a short (about 2" long) plastic ring that was slid over the output shaft. (the plastic sleeve has grooves in it as well... like it almost looks like the speedo gear grooves on the output shaft) but its plastic and I can move it around my hand?

Also cant u guys help me out with decoding my trans? The engine/trans was supposidly out of a 76 thunderbird.
the tag on the servo cover reads...

PJD E7 K22
D5LP AA122516

1 - 8 of 8 Posts