460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED A DISTRIBUTER FOR A 460 BLOWER MOTOR.CLEARANCE IS TIGHT,SO IT NEEDS TO BE A SHORT ONE,THANX,MARTY 361-782-1241

·
Registered
236 Posts
Marty,
Have you considered using a MSD #8578 (351W distributor) and changeout the cam drive gear for a 460 engine? It is a shorter dizzy.....but you do have to change the gear.

Just a thought,
StickBBF :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no ,i did not know i could do that.i bought a brand new ford 460 pro billet msd distributor,it has less than 1 hr on it ,i would sell or trade it.thanx,for the info,i'll check into it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not trying to hijack a thread, but i'm in the same boat as atxwrangler with my blower motor.

Has any one else done the MSD #8578 351 distributor swap? I'd be very interested in finding out if this works in a blower application. Is there anything else you need to do other then change out the cam drive gear??

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Guys,

The 351 MSD distributor is a doable deal and change the gear. Lem does it all the time. HOWEVER, there is still no guarantee that you will have clearance with a blower. I doubt that the 351 MSD will be short enough.

There is even a shorter distributor and that is a stock 429-460 Ford Duraspark distributor. My suggestion is to try it. Use the old pre 1974 small cap and I think it will work. Of course the electronic guts of a Duraspark are the same as a MSD. That's what MSD uses, Ford stuff for the electronics and GM stuff for the advance weights. Cut the weathertight connector off of the Ford distributor's wiring and put on the little plastic connector from MSD and use it to trigger your MSD box.

Furthermore, if you decide to use the stock Ford distributor, then buy two of them, disassemble them and use the best parts from either one to make yourself one good one.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if that doesn't work I may know where some offset dizzys are. Steve Bowen had several for sale before he passed on. I think they are still available, maybe Charlie or Lem knows. They were real nice looking ( don't know how well they ran ) but I do remember they came in different offsets. Alot like those on Paul's web site. ( but different ) I think maybe they used MSD or something like that. I'd have to inquire about the price, or even if any were left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts