Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBF drive mandrel to fit 3 hole ATI super damper

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guy's,somebody has too know of one somewhere. I have been told that one for a BBC will fit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
YES -A BB CHEVY pattern (spacing) will fit but the design of a bb fords balancer bolt can stop you from just bolting on a standard BBC mandrel flat up against the ati dampner.
In other words the chevy mandrel may not be machined deep enough for the balancer bolt.
the easy fix is a spacer or to sandwich a crank trigger wheel between mandrel and balancer might give the clearance needed.

PERSONALLY i would steer clear of the mandrels that use a looong bolt through the whole deal like the moroso design and find one that locks down via the balancer pattern and retains a std type balancer bolt. - just my opinion;)

If you want the nicest stuff call peterson and get the tech guy to put you together a kit - the spline drive stuff is nice as you can turn the motor forward or backward cause it's nut runs on the splines not the balancer bolt threads!

CV PRODUCTS HAS A TWIN PIN TYPE stuff
AEROSPACE,MOROSO,INNOVATORS WEST,ENDERLE,CPP,RONS,AND MANY MORE HAVE MANDRELS.

Ironically i just went through the opposite deal as you as i had a motor that had the three bolt BBC type mandrel on a ati dampner and when the motor was gone through i switched the balancer to one of them shiney innovators west dampners from lem - so we made a spacer to bolt to the 4 bolt inn. west dampner with tappered countersunk bolts then tapped & helicoiled the 3 bolt pattern in the spacer for the mandrel we already were using. - which by the way was a bolaws (BLP) mandrel which is a nice deal to
as the keyway runs the length of the mandrel and the capnut catches the keyway so again the motor can be turn forward or backward without worrying about loosening the bolt!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES -A BB CHEVY pattern (spacing) will fit but the design of a bb fords balancer bolt can stop you from just bolting on a standard BBC mandrel flat up against the ati dampner.
In other words the chevy mandrel may not be machined deep enough for the balancer bolt.
the easy fix is a spacer or to sandwich a crank trigger wheel between mandrel and balancer might give the clearance needed.

PERSONALLY i would steer clear of the mandrels that use a looong bolt through the whole deal like the moroso design and find one that locks down via the balancer pattern and retains a std type balancer bolt. - just my opinion;)

If you want the nicest stuff call peterson and get the tech guy to put you together a kit - the spline drive stuff is nice as you can turn the motor forward or backward cause it's nut runs on the splines not the balancer bolt threads!

CV PRODUCTS HAS A TWIN PIN TYPE stuff
AEROSPACE,MOROSO,INNOVATORS WEST,ENDERLE,CPP,RONS,AND MANY MORE HAVE MANDRELS.

Ironically i just went through the opposite deal as you as i had a motor that had the three bolt BBC type mandrel on a ati dampner and when the motor was gone through i switched the balancer to one of them shiney innovators west dampners from lem - so we made a spacer to bolt to the 4 bolt inn. west dampner with tappered countersunk bolts then tapped & helicoiled the 3 bolt pattern in the spacer for the mandrel we already were using. - which by the way was a bolaws (BLP) mandrel which is a nice deal to
as the keyway runs the length of the mandrel and the capnut catches the keyway so again the motor can be turn forward or backward without worrying about loosening the bolt!
Thx,good info;)

·
Registered
527 Posts

So you're saying to just buy the mandrel (aka pulley)for a BBC, only use the 3 bolts to hold the pulley to the damper, and drill the center hole large enough for the bolt head/washer to fit through the pulley so it (the bolt) only holds the damper to the crank and not the pulley to damper to crank, correct?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No,he's saying to stay away from the type that bolts on w/just the center bolt , and use the one that bolts too the 3 balancer holes,and I agree w/him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No,he's saying to stay away from the type that bolts on w/just the center bolt , and use the one that bolts too the 3 balancer holes,and I agree w/him.

10-4
But keep in mind you want a setup that also registers the mandrel and or spacer/adapter on center with the balancer so it is not just relying on the bolts only to keep it centered.

On the reverse engineered spacer we made it had a machined lip on it just like the protruding lip on a balancer that centers the mandrel or a pulley in oem configurations.

Worth noting - peterson -ati-jones +others have spacers & adapters with registering capabilities.:)

THX - STEVE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts