460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
engine "70 Lincoln Mark III vehicle "87 F250
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some questions on 1970 Lincoln Mark III 460 rebuild. Had a bad vacuum leak and replaced my intake manifold gaskets. Next thing I know, Break a piston cap and crack the wall to the cylinder. Pull the motor and happen to have a back up parts motor of the same make and vintage. Pull the second block apart and get the cylinders bored .06 over to match first block. Had to replace one piston, the cracked one, got it magnafluxed and a valve job. New cam and lifters. Realized the new piston top was 1 oz. lighter than the other seven. Do I need to get the lower balanced? Also, found a score make in number 8 cylinder. Almost afraid to assemble... Do I need to have it sleeved? Also, as I put the pistons in, I did the right bank, when I put the piston in the left bank, I could no longer turn the crank. Backed off the piston nuts a half turn and it would turn again. Was using the pistons and rods from engine one to put into the engine two which was only bored .03 over. When I measured the width of the piston rod caps, the ones from engine one were mic'ed at 2.04 but the piston rod caps from engine two mic'ed at 1.90, so when I tightened them they hung on the rounded edges of the crank. I am figuring to change piston rods with the old pistons, but do I need to match the new piston with the old in weight so I don't get an out of balance engine. And do I need to get the engines sleeved and bored to .06 over before I put it back together. I just want to get it right, I am turning 71 yrs old and this will probably be the last big block I build myself. Any opinions welcome before I bring it back to the machine shop. .

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts