460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article about it supposed to be 455ci and decent power and torque, and good build potentual. Just interested if anyone here has heard of it and what you think. I have now clue given how much I don't know but did sound like an interesting mustang swap, stroked, blower etc lol.
Scott.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Advantage is that it's relatively simple so hot-rodding will be easier. Regular injectors instead of direct injection. Cam in block. Decent heads. Will see shortly how it responds to abuse, boost and high RPM.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Rhetorical question:

Did they ever make an SAE net 430 HP 460? This thing would be bitchin' in my '66 Galaxie with that 10 speed automatic...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
On a side note....

5.0 Coyote Mustang motors go for about twice as much as the 5.0 truck motors at the auto recycling places. This could be a gold mine for big motor core parts when the 460 stuff dries up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder what kind of potential it has in regard to strokeing it etc. I know one thing the 385 series is known for is basically the potential of a stock engine, it would be neat to see how the 7.3 stacks up against the 385 series and the coyote motors as well. That's a lot of cubes to drop into a newer mustang.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I wonder what kind of potential it has in regard to strokeing it etc. I know one thing the 385 series is known for is basically the potential of a stock engine, it would be neat to see how the 7.3 stacks up against the 385 series and the coyote motors as well. That's a lot of cubes to drop into a newer mustang.
A small cam change and dropped into a gutted Fox coupe...Stupid fun for days...:D

For the record, I was the first kid on my block to drop a smogger 460 into a '79 Mustang coupe back around 1990. It went 12s on Pep Boys radials and 87 octane gas with a 3.00:1 rear gear. I had no idea what I was doing but Kauffman said their swap kit would fit, and it did...

Most cheapest stupidest fun I ever had.

Freiburger woulda been proud...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think its great overall. Im guessing the heads will be huge step ahead of stock 460 heads, meaning support more timing, more cam and compression to put down some big #'s fairly easily.

With all that talk about it being in stoich at all times, there probably is alot to be had in just tuning alone as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts