460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have always wondered about these setups. Is there a nozzle? squirter? or some other type of injector that sits in the runner or does the fitting just flow the fuel to the runner from the block? Looks good regardless of how it works.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The new SS lines look good. I may get some once the new engine is up and running.

I have always wondered about these setups. Is there a nozzle? squirter? or some other type of injector that sits in the runner or does the fitting just flow the fuel to the runner from the block? Looks good regardless of how it works.
Under the fittiing on each runner is a nozzle. Inside the nozzle is a jet, similar to a nitrous jet. They are sized depending on engine size from .026 to .045 (hole size in the jet)

The purple distribution block also houses a barrel valve. Just a round cylinder with a V shaped notch. At idle just a tiny bit of the notch is exposed and the engine idles off that small amount fuel. As you open the throttle, more of the notch is exposed, letting more fuel to pass to the distribution block. The idle mixture is set with the turnbuckle adjuster that is towards the front. Adjust it longer and it leans the idle mixture by closing off more of the V notch. Adjust it shorter and it gets richer by exposing more of the notch. Just above the turnbuckle is a plug. Under it is the main jet (aka "pill") It sets the mixture at wide open throttle when the V notch is fully open.

The fuel comes in the front line, some goes though the V notch into the distribution block, the rest is bypassed back to the tank though the line going out the side. You use a belt drive pump so it's low pressure and volume at idle (9 psi or so) at wide open throttle the pump is turning faster (1/2 engine rpm) and is putting out over 100 psi. The volume is so much more at WOT that most of the fuel is still bypassed even with the V notch fully open. The "pill" controls how much gets bypassed and how much goes to the lines.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys. And David, that is a great explanation of how this thing works. I wish it had been explained to me like that before a year of trial and error.

If anyone is interested I can give you the info on these lines. I priced doing it myself and could not get under $200. This man made them for me at $155.00 and that included a primer line. You have a choice of female ends, of course I chose blue. I used Paypal and he made them and shipped them to me in less than one week.

Thanks
Kerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts