460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
In the process of parts collecting for another build, either a 70's truck or early 60's galaxy. I have some SR-71 heads. I do not want studs I want to use head bolts, it is my understanding that I would have to use Blue Thunder head bolts at least for the bottom bolts. Kaase only uses studs and gave me the part number for those and as mentioned I want bolts. Does anyone know if ARP has such a kit and if so what is the part number, or does anyone have a set they don't need and willing to sell? Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
430 Posts
May not have the capability to remove the heads with studs after it's in the car.. Might not be able to remove the studs either to do it that way depending upon how much room there's gnna be in the engine compartment.. Just like in my situation, I've got a Foxbody, and I don't think I'll have enough room to try studs on the driver's in case I have to pull a head later on instead of having to pull the whole engine.. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
742 Posts
It’s possible that no one on here has used a set of bolts with the SR-71’s. If you want to use bolts you may have to get out a tape measure and do some math. Measure the depth of the block deck holes then add the height of the bolt passages on the head. With that # Id guess ARP could hook you up with a fastener that would work. Remember to add some clearance so the bolt doesn’t bottom out in the block before the correct clamp load is achieved.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you consider in a power brake booster then the bolts on the very back would be.. Yeh I know, hydro boost!!! I've not got that fundage and I don't have the legs for standard brake booster... Spinal issues..

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can do studs, if the head needs to come off while it's in the car, just put the studs in after the fact. For the ones that's pinned in by a brake booster, put them in the head, and rubber band around them so the cam over and stay put. I've done this with many a 6.0 diesel and it usually does the trick.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is the reason why I post on here... So this old horse can drink new oats without all the extra salt in the water!! 😆😆👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts