460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is what I have got going on and would love to get some guesses on what it should make on HP and TQ, I have a idea on what I think but I have only done Chevy's before and this is only my second BBF build for me, the first one was almost stock 429 with a roller and a Dommy so this really is my first good build with the blue oval badge, so what do y'all think. I have a offset ground 429 crank (3.830) stroke and 2.200 rods I used aluminum rods and .030 460 flat tops and its 12.1 with .055 quench, I also bought a set of aluminum SCJ's that have been worked a little they flow 380 intake and 265 exhaust @ .700 lift the cam is .739/.729 and 275/285 @ .050 and a worked over Victor 460 with my 1050 E-85 dommy, I'll post pics soon, I also have a .721/.701 and 257/267 @ .050 if the smaller cam will work better please let me know, thanks Bean

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks 514-F1 that was just a dummy picture but I did get it assembled last night, after checking clearences and degreeing the cam it went together pretty well, I still need a set of stud girdles and a intake (I have mine sold just waiting on payment) it will be ready to install, I took some pics but I just can't get them to upload so gmsmkr is going to do that for me, I also welded in a baffle in the swap pan to help with keeping the oil in the bottom of the pan and I hope it works Smile

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, how do you like the home made baffle in the fox swap pan? its welded then some JB weld over the mig weld to make it smooth

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Looking good Roy. Keep an eye on that JB weld. I've seen it flake off sometimes if the prep isn't absolutely perfect.
BMG rods? I've got a set too for my 514" build coming up.
If it were me I'd use the bigger of the two cams. The bigger cam should have a more aggressive ramp rate and get the valves open sooner/higher and help with the cylinder filling a bit more.
With the bigger cam I'd guess in the 750+ horse range.
Rob

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks Rob, the JB weld is over the mig weld so I think it will stick pretty good and yes BME rods with 2000 bolts, I'm saving the bigger cam and lifters for my next build that I'm already gathering parts for, I bought a .060 over block thats already line bored and studded and girdled decked and bored with plates and coated cam bearings all for 350. and today I got a 4.140 crank ready in the bag for 100. plus shipping so I'm getting stuff before this one has fired off :confused: so next year I'll get this bottom ready so all I'll have to do is switch over my heads and intake and have a 508" motor ready to run !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Looks killer butterbean!!

Is it going on a dyno?

Which cam did you put in?

Cheers, Bob

ps-love the home backyard builds.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rob, does the water pump look familiar ??? and thanks for the comment
Bob, I used the smaller cam its .700/.712 lift and 258/[email protected] and intake C/L is 108 and I installed it at 106, the home builds, yes me too but I use to have a shop with all the bells and whistles, but after a 26 year marriage ended I had to start over, now I am a mobile forklift mechanic with most of my tools are in a E-250 van, I'm talking to a local guy with a dyno now to see if I can get it done a little cheaper

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Rob, does the water pump look familiar ??? and thanks for the commentBob, I used the smaller cam its .700/.712 lift and 258/[email protected] and intake C/L is 108 and I installed it at 106, the home builds, yes me too but I use to have a shop with all the bells and whistles, but after a 26 year marriage ended I had to start over, now I am a mobile forklift mechanic with most of my tools are in a E-250 van, I'm talking to a local guy with a dyno now to see if I can get it done a little cheaper
Lol, oh yeah! Glad to see that it's getting some use! That reminds me, I need a pump for my Dragster build now! lol
Rob

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Mike again for posting the pics, its getting closer every day, got the engine and trans mated together and stuffed down into the T-bird, man the valve covers are big and what a biotch to get the headers bolted up

·
Registered
286 Posts
LOL! Sorry- I thought about that typo on the way to the shop this morning but there wasn't anything I could do about it at that point.
It's been corrected.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
look forward to hearing how it runs butter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts