460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just got my tci converter today 26 spline input and when I went to drop it in the trans the input shaft won't sink. I pulled out the input shaft which is a brand new hardend shaft from PA and the splines match up but the input shaft won't slide in? I checked for burs on the shaft and couldn't find any guys have any ideas? Maybe a slight defect in the shaft? Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Sometimes they are harder to get in than stock stuff. But I will say, talk to the guys ya got it from before you try to force it in.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Do you have the old shaft? 1970 had a 26 spline on both ends and had a differant forward drum. The 24 spline trannys are smaller in diameter so it would be sloppy in the bushing and easy to catch. I would measure diameter of the splines since the are machined down some.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Hey guys just got my tci converter today 26 spline input and when I went to drop it in the trans the input shaft won't sink. I pulled out the input shaft which is a brand new hardend shaft from PA and the splines match up but the input shaft won't slide in? I checked for burs on the shaft and couldn't find any guys have any ideas? Maybe a slight defect in the shaft? Thanks
Friend of mine had same exact problem with C-4 for his Ranger sent it back and second one fit no problems, it was also from PA.

·
Registered
584 Posts
been in that boat before! i dont know the brand i got,got it from ptc,but it was that way too.the splines were'nt deep enough.shoulda sent it back but didnt have time so i cut them with the thinest cutoff wheele i could find.:eek:dumb assed i know but it has been worken for over 200 passes.:cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replys, I talked to PA and TCI they both said to use a mallet and hit it in sometimes they are a real tight fit, I did that but I could only get it 1/8" in the spines on the input shaft aren't tapered enough , I will send the shaft back to PA for a new one I just hope it didn't screw up the onverter at all! I thought about using a small grinding wheel to taper the spines but figured the hardened shaft would be a PITA to cut. I don't have a stock one but I will let u guys know when I make some progress , maybe this might be a common issue with aftermarket hardened shafts,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does PA manufacture the shafts? or is it another company? i saw that TCI sells hardened shafts too wonder if they are the same as PA:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Maybe I know TCI sources some parts from Sonnax and I am sure PA outsources parts too. It costs 100's of thousands of dollars to do tooling so it is easier to outsource them from companies that already have the tooling. Example; my TCI billet R-code racing servo was sourced from Sonnax, they have a clearance issue that is common knowledge but TCI says they have never heard of it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys i got a new input shaft from PA yesterday and it fits perfect no hammers or black magic to make it fit. guys at PA are good to deal with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts