1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Back in the mid 90s did a redesign of the 4.6 Modular engine using compacted graphite. The block was never cast. My Supervisor was partly to blame. In 4 month period completely redesigned the casting but not the machining. Other than just using thinner wall thickneses improved something like 30+ weak points in the block. Most of these improvements would be good for any engine block.
Some were incoperated in other ford engine lines. Some they wouldnt let me do they are just now figuring why I wanted to do them. The engineers liked what I WAS UP TO so did the head of castiing. My supervisor hated me for it.
We did a lot of testing on machineabilty of CG which is stronger but say like drilling a hole and tapping it the tooling would last like 10 times (or more) longer before needing replaced.
Another issue is that producing a CG part can be tricky something gone wrong and the material can end up too soft on the flip side it can end up so hard its almost inpossible to machine. One guy had a pat on the most consistant processing of the casting of CG his price to use his process was 75.00 a part so that wasnt going to happen.
I did notice in the Ford Poower Prodcts cataloge there were some CG modular blocks available. None looked like what I had done though.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
CGI has been used in diesel blocks for a long time. The fact that Ford is making the 2.7 with it indicates to me that it's primarily intended for the truck market. That said, it would have the potential to handle big amounts of boost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts