460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just bought my Marquis and have started the process of restoring it. As my name suggests I’m quite young (just turned 20), and a lot the old tech is quite foreign to me. So I guess I’ll start with some basic questions and general goals for the build.

I’m looking to build up the very gutless mid smog 460 to a little over the pre smog/pre-1972 glory. From what I have gathered so far the timing chain, intake, carb, exhaust, cam, and most confusing of all Heads are the main points to look at.

Where my confusion starts is trying to piece together the heads and intake puzzle. What I’m trying to figure out is what are good heads to run on a mostly stock 460 without having to change any or as little internal components. From other posts I have read the A429 heads seem to be the simplest to bolt on and see performance gains and weight reduction.

Last of all if anyone has specific knowledge to the land yachts like mine. I could definitely use some advise for the suspension and clearance for larger intakes and air cleaners.

If this post doesn’t belong here please forgive me and direct me to the correct page. And if any similar posts exist I’d be glad to read them. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
For heads use the earlier C8,C9 or D0 small chamber heads. This will get your compression ratio closer to 9:1 which is better suited for a mild performance build. To maintain hood clearance and maximize torque use a regular Edelbrock Performer manifold. Don't go over board on cam timing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts